Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Favourite snack? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121456)

newkimmy Wed, Jul-09-03 08:50

Favourite snack?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Atkins, so obviously I'm on induction. I find the snacks toughest. In the evening, it's just not appetizing to open a can of salmon (which is what I've been doing). I have also gone for slices of cheese, or ham rolled around cream cheese. I have also tried the Atkins bars, but I want to keep them to a minimum, if possible.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

Kim.

Mrs. Eldon Wed, Jul-09-03 08:53

Sugar Free Jello :yay:

lbiessen Wed, Jul-09-03 08:57

Cheese sticks and Slim Jims

babeez1 Wed, Jul-09-03 09:04

Be careful with sugar free jello...it may stall becasue of aspartame...however some people don't ahve problems!!! I like to have whipped cream...the chocolate reddi-wip is great...just only allow yourself a little and no more. :nono: The regular heavycream whipped up is good with a couple of packets for splenda mixed in.

babeez1 Wed, Jul-09-03 09:06

oh sorry forgot to mention...if you like jello you can make your own with knox geletina dn koolaid packets (unsweetwned of course). Sometimes sweet drinks are enough to stop the desert craving. Diet V8 splash only has 3 carbs.....

MRobs Wed, Jul-09-03 09:10

I like to have a small handfull of olives. I am also a fan of beef jerky. I usually go to a warehouse store and buy a big container with about 20 individually packed pieces. I also buy individual packets of peanuts (that way I don't get out of control)...but nuts are not allowed on induction so you will have to wait a couple of weeks for that.

Sometimes I make up a batch of deviled eggs and pop one of those.

When I am craving something sweet I usually make a cup of tea and add cream and splenda.

Also, celery with cream cheese or some kind of cheese spread is yummy.

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-09-03 10:14

1/2 an avacado mushed with 1 tbsp cream cheese
hotdogs wrapped in cheese
handful of deli meat
tuna strait from package
left overs
glass of soy milk
EAS Shake

Basicalywhat ever is in fridge :) I can't stand the bars anymore. My son gets to steal them from me now.

Paris Wed, Jul-09-03 13:36

Italian soda and hot chocolate made with DaVinci's, cream and water.

I also like 1/4 cup pumpkin and 2 tbsp cream cheese nuked with a bit of cinnamon and splenda.

Other goodies --- celery dipped in cream cheese flavored with herbs, nitrite-free lunch meat with mayo, bacon rolls with cream cheese, and cheese slices.

MRobs Wed, Jul-09-03 13:47

Paris - Genius idea with the italian soda, I am excited to try that. Quesion though...how do you make your hot chocolate?

Paris Wed, Jul-09-03 13:51

I use 2 tbsp cream to 3 tbsp Chocolate (or I have German Chocolate Cake now) SF Davinic's syrup and then fill the rest of the mug with water. I nuke it for a minute or so and then stir. Delish!

MRobs Wed, Jul-09-03 14:01

Thanks Paris, you're good! :agree:

wordlady Wed, Jul-09-03 14:13

Now that it's hot, I love making a shake of some sort. Usually with Ice, unsweetened soy milk, some splenda, and then whatever else I'm in the mood for.

~~vanilla and a few strawberries
~~chocolate sugar free instant pudding (higher in carbs)
~~blueberries
~~any kind of Davinci's sugar free syrup that suites me
Or a new concoction.

newkimmy Wed, Jul-09-03 18:02

Thank you for the great idea. Goodbye boredom!

Ribbet Wed, Jul-09-03 19:37

I'm still on Induction (starting third week). I bought an electric snow cone machine at Walmart for about $15.00. It works great! When I'm in the mood for a summertime treat I make a huge snow cone in a bowl and top it with Atkins Raspberry Syrup or make my own syrup by mixing up some unsweetened Koolaid powder with Splenda and a bit of water. Also, I bought a popsicle kit and make iced tea popsicles with decaffeinated Earl Grey tea and Splenda. BTW, I find the Atkins syrup tasting a bit watered down, going to look for DaVinci's syrups which seem to be the favorite on the msg board.

sparkles Wed, Jul-09-03 20:24

my instructor at school gave me this recipe today she said it was kinda like pudding i just had some and i think i need to adapt it a little she told me to do this
mix 1 pkg. 8oz cream cheese
2 pkg sf jello of the same flavor
8oz of boiling water
let it sit in fridge taste like pudding or something close to it but i think i should have only used 1 pkg of sf jello because the strawberry flavor is to strong when i eat it so i had to kill some of the flavor by adding reddi whip but if someone else knows this recipe can you tell me if i did it right or something diffrent to do with it
thanks
--nicholle