Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Curls, etc. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121437)

whyspers Wed, Jul-09-03 06:49

Curls, etc.

I'm hoping someone can clue me in here on what's going on. For some reason, I can't lift as much doing a curl as I can in other areas. I can barely do a 48 lb. curl, but I can do a 60 lb. ab, 60 lbs. ad and abductors, 90 lb. leg press, 70 lb. press, 72 lb. thingie for the pecs, 60 rowing, etc. For some reason, my biceps, etc. don't want to get any stronger. I've added tons from when I started to other areas, but for some reason, cannot increase my strenth in this area. Any tips or ideas on what is going on? I feel odd lifting so much in other areas in comparison to what I can do with my bicep area.

Thanks!
L

Arie Wed, Jul-09-03 10:50

When you say 48lb curls, are you using a barbell? Cable?

In order to get biceps stronger you must isolate them, which is not easy. You can do "concentration curls" with a dumbbell (one arm at the time) or use a preacher bench with a barbell.
Both methods will help focus on the right muscles, eliminating back, shoulders, and other ways of "cheating' like bouncing etc.

I use this site for routine ideas.. it is not very intuitive site to use, but there's lot of good info there.

Coolcat Thu, Jul-10-03 14:53

I'm with arie...

You'll notice that the bigger muscle groups can do more work.( Ex: you can leg press 2x + more than you can bench press.) I would do isolation exercises for your biceps to get stronger. Concentration curls and preacher curls are great examples of this as you're allowed very little body movement while doing the exercise, and that keeps you from "cheating".

Most guys think that doing curls makes your arms bigger. Wrong-o! Your triceps are devided into 2 muscle groups and they hide in the back of the arms. They're used to "push" instead of "pull". Ever seen the WWF wrestler Hulk Hogan? He's got HUGE triceps. I think he's referred to them as his "pythons".. lol.

Anyhow.. as with any exercise.. if you isolate, you'll get more out of the muscle you're picking on. :)

Good luck!

whyspers Fri, Jul-11-03 12:39

Thanks for your responses. I use the machines at the gym at this point. Can't think of the name of the one I'm talking about, but hopefully you do. I am waiting until I get closer to goal before I move to doing free weights (the people that hang out there are a little intimidating to me right now because I still have about 40 lbs. to lose...lol).

L

whyspers Fri, Jul-18-03 06:51

Well, I found out the answer to this...lol. I was coming into the gym in the mornings and finding the machine set to 120 pounds and was thinking there was something wrong with me that I couldn't do 48. Now I didn't expect to do anywhere near 120 lbs. after only four months of lifting, but I had thought I should be lifting more. My father has worked out for years and is in great shape and he says 20 lbs is what he does for curls with free weights and about 40-45 for the machine. My boss is also really into lifting and he also said 20 for free weights and 40-45 for machines! My dad said 48 lbs. was too much. Don't know about that, but I feel much better about the whole thing.

L

Bebet Sun, Jul-20-03 19:20

What I'm able to do

I've been doing weights since March 1st. I started with some free weights towards the end of April to "vary" my routine. I use the machines to do my curls and only do 30 pds ( started at 20). I do 8pd weights when I do free weights (I started with the 5 pd ones). I try to do more reptitions then go up faster on my weights. I'm having fu with it which is important to I guess.