Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What the rest of the world is saying about us Atkins types ;) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=120894)

Jeanne Sch Mon, Jul-07-03 13:03

What the rest of the world is saying about us Atkins types ;)

Hi all:
I am not diabetic but I did feel that eventually I was going to travel down that road with my diet.
I stumbled on this website for diabetics called www.defeatdiabetes.org and here is an interesting article that is very recent:

Defeat Diabetes® E-Lerts™ Newsletter

June 2003
(Volume II, Issue 5)
Don't forget to subscribe to Defeat Diabetes® E-Lerts™
LOW CARB! or LOW FAT! or HIGH PROTEIN! or VEGAN! which is the best DIET for DIABETICS? or is there just one? Controversy surrounds all the diets that are claiming to help prevent diabetes or to help diabetics. Low fat diets have been prescribed for years, but obesity and diabetes are now at epidemic proportions. Do Diets Work? Check Latest News to read about the new low carb diet controversy. But another article proclaims a vegetarian diet may cure diabetes. Whether Dr. Atkins and his much maligned low carb-high protein diet is vindicated or not, there are some things all dieticians agree on - eat a healthy diet and enjoy being with people, even if you have diabetes.

It is now summer and we have some cool recipes to beat the heat from Jyl Steinback, America's Healthiest Mom.

We are excited about the latest Treatments on the Horizon from creating insulin-producing cells from stem cells to laughter processing blood sugar as well as improving circulation, stimulating the nervous system, heightening the immune system and making the heart stronger. The FDA is fast-tracking the review process for diabetes drugs. And there are nutritional agents that look very promising for diabetics and prediabetics.

We are getting many questions from you, our readers. For the latest see the Readers' Forum.

Follow the progress of Mr. Diabetes®. He is now in Grants Pass, Oregon having completed 3538.2 miles on his epic Wake Up and Walk® Tour.

WE NEED YOUR HELP to continue our highly recognized and well received programs, but we would like to do more. The Defeat Diabetes Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Our web site is secure and all donations are tax-deductible.

Good Health,
Lisa M. Rasolt
Program Director
lrasolt~DefeatDiabetes.org

Awareness + Action = Prevention™
Did you know?
Insulin Resistance on Rise in Young Girls: From the earliest years of childhood, girls are more likely than boys to develop the early warning signs of diabetes. Diabetes Care June 2003
Latest News
Weighing In On the Low Carb Diet Controversy The two new studies in the New England Journal of Medicine directly compare low-carb diets to a traditional low-fat diet in obese patients over a longer period of time. The conclusions were that: (a) about a third of patients on both diets quit early on; (b) people who stayed on the low-carb diet lost more weight than the folks on the low-fat diet; (c) regardless of which diet you were on, the longer you stayed on the diet, the less well it seemed to work; and (d) scary predictions of bad things happening to people’s cholesterol levels on a low-carb diet turned out not to come true.

I have two points of speculation to make:
1- probably statistically 1/3 of ALL people who diet (regardless of diet) are going to quit.
2-the longer anyone stays on a diet, the less they lose and that is probably because they have lost a percentage of body fat so it takes longer to lose the overall amount wanted (just like the example of someone who is 300 lbs losing say 30 lbs in induction and the person who weighs 180 losing only 12 lbs in induction).

Overall, this is good news to see the above news clipping on their website because I'm sure Dr Atkins was 100% correct!! :thup: :thup:

SDgrandma Mon, Jul-07-03 16:51

I was headed on the road to diabetes also. It amazes me that every diabetic does not see the logic of a LC diet. What can a low fat diet do for a diabetic? Fat has nothing to do with blood sugar or insulin levels. It is the carbs that increase blood sugar and insulin. It just makes sense to limit carbs. But even my diabetic friends just don't get it.