Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The CAD diet...do people lose on this? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119933)

lam9899 Fri, Jul-04-03 15:01

The CAD diet...do people lose on this?

I just heard about the CAD diet (carbohydrate addicts diet). Where you eat low-carb for most of the day, but you can splurge on carbs for only a one hour window.

Does this actually work? Anyone know?

Thanks!

vcrothb Fri, Jul-04-03 15:49

Cad

I have never tried it myself- but it is very close to what I used to eat in a day- and remained fat. I used to eat just one big fast food meal a day. To me it sounds too good to be true- but maybe others have lost on it? It is quite a popular l/c diet.

Wanna Lose Fri, Jul-04-03 15:56

<font color=pastel>That sounds more like the too good to be true diet...lol</font>

lam9899 Fri, Jul-04-03 17:46

No, for real, on girl on here said she lost 20 lbs on it.....maybe I should ask her, but I don't remember her name or where I saw it! She was a cute blond....

Peabug Fri, Jul-04-03 17:50

There's a <a href="http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=100">CAD board</a> here, if you want to check it out. Yep, it does work. I was on it for a few months at the beginning of the year and was losing steadily.

One caveat, though, it's not a one hour carb splurge -- the meal has to be balanced (1/3 carbs, 1/3 protein, 1/3 vegetables).

gretchend Sat, Jul-05-03 07:49

Yes, you can lose on this. In fact, I have been waffling over 3 or 4 pounds for it seems like a few months. I was 150 then I would go up to 154 and then jump all around between there ever since. Yesterday, I got on the scale and to my surprise....149!!!! I have been waiting for this day since last summer when I almost made it into the 140's and gave up trying!!!! But, alas, the 149 did not last long, this morning, back up to 152. Oh well, I saw it and it made me happy for a short time. I even had my daughters come in and look at the scale so I had witnesses!!!! I am going to keep pressing on though. Skinny, here I come!!!

trw1966 Sat, Jul-05-03 07:59

Cad

I lost about 22 pounds on CAD in about 3 months. I ate no carbs for breakfast, only veggies and meat for lunch, and supper was meat and veggies. Then after some time you were allowed to add carbs at your evening meal. Snacks in between were cheese, olives, pickles or meat.
I sure did a lot better on that diet than this Atkins for some reason. I just can't figure it out. It's pretty much the same thing, except now there's no starchy carbs at dinner (and I still can't lose!!) :cry:

I WILL succeed one of these days..............

"T"

justcindy Sat, Jul-05-03 08:20

I am an "all or nothing" person....CAD would never work for me. It would be like nicotine patches to cure smoking....I would still be addicted to carbs for one meal a day, no thank you. I broke my carb addiction and I feel wonderful, I don't need a reward meal, I need a reward pair of skinny jeans!! I realize it does work for some people but I am a severe carb addict and I must abstain forever.

lowco Sat, Jul-05-03 11:50

not just carbs

hi,

cad is not only about eating carbs within one hr.....or all or nothing....and it is not to good to be true.

eventhough your carbs are 20g daily, and you are a carb addict, your body may be sensitive to certain foods, even if they are lc. Cad is about controllong the amount of insulin released at any given meal. Any food, lc or not, may be a trigger for a carb addict ex. carrots, vinegar, brocolli, artifically sweetned foods etc. It is the excess insulin that is making us fat!

cad is what you make it. It is a healthy plan. If you decide to have cake with your one reward meal a day, you must balance with protein and veggies. You decide what you want to eat. As soon as insulin is no longer in excess, cravings and hunger deminish, you can can have a slice of cake and feel satisfied. If while on cad you still crave foods and overeat on junk food chances are you are not doing it right. And even while doing other lowcarb plans and you overeat on the allowable foods, that's a sign of excess insulin, and a carb addict. excess insulin always lead to cravings, a false sence of hunger and cheating.
you don't have to do cad to understand why it works. It is a slower weight loss but it never fails to accomplish it's claims.

hellhounds Sat, Jul-05-03 14:21

2 years ago I went on the CAD with my DH. I was 186, I got down to 139 in about 10 months. It was great having the reward meal every evening. You have something to look forward to, although, you must be a balanced meal with a salad. You cannot just load up on carbs.

I put on some weight recently and have decided to try atkins. It is such an easy way to eat and DH seems to be happy with this plan. We all know it so much easier when everyone is on the same eating plan. Currently I seem to be loosing slowly but steady. I have decided to just go by my clothes and forget the scale. I become very obsessive with it. When I can get into all my "skinny clothes" goal will be obtained.