Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   High carbs/palpitations?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=11231)

Kristy B. Thu, Jul-05-01 23:46

High carbs/palpitations??

Hi, I'm new here. I have noticed that if I eat anything HIGH carb, such as bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc, I get really bad heart palpitations. My heart not only beats really fast, but it beats really HARD. I also notice "flutters" and irregular heartbeats when I eat high carbs. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hours for these to go away, and I usually have to lay down for awhile. I was wondering if anybody knew what could cause this. I have read that this can happen, I just don't remember the medical reasons why. I sure hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance........Kristy B.

Karen Fri, Jul-06-01 01:21

Welcome to the forum Kristy!

I can't answer your question but someone else might be able to.

I was reminded by your post that I used to have heart paliptations too but never related it to eating carbs, just to being fat. They used to scare me. Since low-carb, they have disappeared. I had completely forgot about them until your post.

Karen

NNN Fri, Jul-06-01 03:25

HI Kristy

What is your age? Not entering the twightlight zone of premenopause are you? Been there, done that! Started in my early 40's.
Norma

Liz Fri, Jul-06-01 09:06

I also had heart palpitations which seem to have almost gone away since lowcarbing. They still happen a little bit, but a few months ago they happened several times a day and sometimes were quite scary. I had ecg's done and they showed atrial fibrulation going on. (the docs said 'oh yeah. not a problem'--but you try staying calm when your heart feels like it's rocketing about in your chest!) I haven't read anything about a high carb link, but it's interesting that we've all experienced the same thing.

Kristy B. Fri, Jul-06-01 14:53

palpitations

I am 41 years old but I have noticed these horrible heart problems for about seven years now. I went to a cardiologist and he said I have PSVT and sinus arrhythmia. But RARELY do I have these arrhythmias unless I have eaten a high carb. What's weird is if I eat some candy, it really doesn't bother me. But when I eat flour, bread, pastas, rice, etc., WHOA!! I KNOW I read the medical reason for these arrhythmias somewhere [pertaining to high carbs] but I just can't remember what it said or where I read it. Doggone it! I am pregnant right now, too. I have PCOS, so it's really hard for me to get pregnant. I have a 20 year old daughter, and an eight year old son. It took me twelve years to get pregnant with him. And it took me eight years to get pregnant with this little girl I'm carrying. Oh well, better late than never!! Anyway, my pregnancy hormones seem to exxagerate the heart palps quite a bit, which isn't fun. But when I eat carbs....what a miserable time I have. I hope somebody can help me with the answers I'm seeking.
Love, Kristy