Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Carbohydrate Sugars ?!? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111244)

NiSSaNKiNG Wed, Jun-04-03 17:50

Carbohydrate Sugars ?!?

Hi,
I'm from Adelaide, Australia and I notice the food labels here all list Carbohydrates and CarboHydrate Sugars.
For example: Sweet Chili Sauce (BiLo brand) per 30ml Serve (Approx. 2 Tspns)

Carbohydrate 21.0g
- Sugars 19.2g

Does any1 know what this means ....Should I be counting the Carbs or Carb Sugars?
If sugars, then a product high in carbs but low in carb sugars is good ?

Can any1 from Oz (pref SA) recommend a Carb Counter book to buy and where from? ..One that has metric values please.

On another note, seeing as i have cut all bread, cereals and grains, would i need some sort of fibre supplement ?

Thanks in advance :)

RCFletcher Thu, Jun-05-03 00:23

Hi NiSSaNKiNG,

the figure you must count is the total carbohydrate one - in your example this is 21 g.

What it means is you've got 21 g of carbs 19 of these are sugars and 2g are some other type of carby crap.

I don't know of carb counters for sale in Oz but to the right of this screen is a very good on line carb counter - in metric!

www.fitday.com is also quite good but you've got to convert to American measures to use it - a pain in the backside but not impossible to do!

Robert

Rosebud Thu, Jun-05-03 01:32

Hi Nissanking,

I just want to welcome another Aussie! :wave:

Yes, Robert is completely right about the carbs. The other 2g are probably form the tomato or whatever else is in the sauce. That sounds like a hideously carby sauce. :(

Like Robert, I use either Fitday, or this site's carb counter. If you check the bookshops and newsagents, you may find a good carb counter. I've heard other Aussies refer to a few.

Speaking of other Aussies, ;) have you visited our Oz/NZ forum yet for local help and info? In case you haven't, you can click here for a quick link.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

NiSSaNKiNG Thu, Jun-05-03 19:32

Thanks ppl

I was hoping it was the other way around heh ...not to worry :)

Any ideas with the fibre suppliment thing ?
Currently I'm have Redback brand WPi drink for breakfast, I'm unsure of it's fibre content.

I have been on the 'Atkins' diet for 6 days now and have lost 3kg .....I'm stoked :D

NiSSaNKiNG Wed, Jun-11-03 01:21

I managed to find an Oz Carb Counter of sorts in my local bookshop, though it is not intended to be one, (and you will laugh when you read the diet recommendations...) It does however list the Carb content for Each item. It also lists brands!

The Australian Women's Weekly fat+kj counter
ISBN # 186396293-X

Also contains a height/weight chart.

Hope this helps