Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   herbal teas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111010)

cathie Wed, Jun-04-03 05:42

herbal teas

hi everyone,

does anyone know the carb counts in herbal teas, eg. peppermint, decaf green tea, chamomile etc.

I didn't think they had a carb count, but I'm worried now, I have about 6 big cups a day...is this too much!

thanks for yr replies,
cathie :rheart:

sambalam Wed, Jun-04-03 18:00

hi cathie,

my cal/carb/fat counter says to allow 2.5 carbs per cup of herbal teea (any kind). dietclub.com says the same. so 6 of those is giving you 15 extra carbs a day. i reuse my teabags or make a pot with one teabag. not sure if that lowers the carbs.

Polly3376 Wed, Jun-04-03 19:35

oouch, thanks for the info.. I new these herbal teas had a small amount of carbs (like 0.5 per cup) .. I need to adjust my consumption as well!!

Polly3376 Wed, Jun-04-03 20:10

hmmm... :confused: the carb counter on this site says 0.5 per cup, I guess there would be a big difference between a fruit based herbal & something like a green or mint tea?? .. 2.5ml sounds like an awful lot though, I had no idea it was so high.

cathie Thu, Jun-05-03 00:36

thanks for the replies guys,

wow, to think that herbal teas have such a high carb count! I did check it at dietclub food database and it did say 2.5g..but hey, I thought it was a mistype :rolleyes:

well, what other pleasures can we indulge in now that the weather is getting cold and miserable. that's such a shame about the carb count.

if rosebud is out there and has any other information...please give us a sign!!

oh well, c'est la vie,
have a good one girls,

Rosebud Thu, Jun-05-03 02:47

Felt my ears burning... :D

I rather think it depends on (a) what brand and type of tea you are drinking and (b) how strong you have it.
If you are like me, and simply wave the tea bag in the direction of the cup as you walk by, :p it's not going to have anything much of anything. :daze:

And it's possible that the brands vary. After all, the only specific one mentioned by Allan Borushek is Instant Dandelion, and it only has 0.5g per cup.

I checked with Fitday, and they say a 250 mL cup of herbal tea only has 0.474 carbs.

So basically I'd be looking at the big picture. Are you still losing weight? Because that's the bottom line. For now, I'd continue to enjoy the tea, particularly if you drink it fairly weak, and only worry if you find your loss seems to be reeeeeally slow. Mind you, I've never heard of anyone stalling because of herbal tea. ;) Of course if the tea tastes sweet....but then you wouldn't be drinking it, would you?

The other thing to remember is even if your carb count was bumped up a little (and I seriously doubt it will be) there are many, many people losing really well on plans where the carb count varies from 30 to 60g.

Cheers, guys, hope that helps a little.

Roz

cathie Thu, Jun-05-03 03:25

thanks rosebud!

thankyou for the info rosebud, you're a star! always around to give great advice and support.

have a great evening,