Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Newbie Potato Lover (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=110967)

specky Wed, Jun-04-03 01:40

Newbie Potato Lover

JUST STARTED, JUST SAYING HELLO. AND I'D KILL FOR A POTATO--IS THIS NORMAL?

hev Wed, Jun-04-03 01:56

Hello

Hi specky,
Ooh I feel awful calling you that, you don't wear glasses do you?
Well it's good to have you here, I'm sorry you have spud cravings but I promise you they will get better. The first days are the worst, after my first 3 days I didn't have 1 craving and still haven't, don't get me wrong I would like cake etc but I don't crave it. My advice would be when you get the feeling eat something legal, you usually find if your body is satisfied the cravings will go away, and drink loads of water.
What part of Essex are you from? I grew up near Basildon! Lots of my family still live in Thurrock and Tilbury. Some of my happiest memories are in Essex.
If you want to come and chat to me in my journal I would love to hear about you.
Keep going Hev.

hev Wed, Jun-04-03 02:04

Hey it's me again I just noticed the book you read on Atkins, it really is worth getting the new diet revolution version. Aparently it has been revised and some of it has changed, some of the people here have made mistakes on the older versions i.e. things like nuts during induction big nono in the new one. But it might not be so different, borrow a copy first to see if the differences are big or not.
Sorry for sounding so preachy it didn't mean to come out like that!

specky Wed, Jun-04-03 09:20

Thanks for the advice. I've been eating LOADS of nuts so I suppose all my good work has been undermined. I'll check out the new version.

Debi Warne Wed, Jun-04-03 09:22

for potatoe cravings you can use cauliflower.

Cube it up, cook it, drain, add butter, salt & pepper, mash -- a dollop of butter on top and it tastes like potatoes and is so good.

NURSEGAL Wed, Jun-04-03 15:44

JUST A SUGGESTION

i was dying for some spuds a couple of weeks ago, i did the cauliflower thing, its great, some advice though, u have to boil the cauliflower really really well to loose the "cauli" taste, my best advice is pressure cooker for like 3 minutes, a little chopped fried bacon, some butter or sour cream, you'll never know the diff.

good luck to u

Kathy54 Wed, Jun-04-03 18:47

Yes, be sure and get the new book or check out his site, so you are following it right, but, the book is best, no use wasting time eh.

As for the spuds............................ That was the one reason why I almost did'nt start this diet!!!(oops WOE) I thought, no way could I give them up. But it was jan. when I started, and the potatoes, were getting pretty dry so, I thought, Oh I can do it ! And I have 31 #'s down, and it's new potatoe time here, I live beside 2 huge farms that dig them fresh every morning and I think I can resist them, I know I can really :D Cause that taste is not worth, not losing weight :p

Cheers Good Luck Kathy