Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I Don't Want To Give Up Peanut Butter!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=110506)

roxy_foxy Mon, Jun-02-03 16:24

I Don't Want To Give Up Peanut Butter!!!

Atkins Induction says no peanuts in the first weeks of induction, I am not strong enough to give it up. I am on induction, and I do still eat peanut butter (sugar-free) when I get the urge. Is this going to affect me? And what's the big deal with no peanuts during induction?

mammoth Mon, Jun-02-03 16:47

Sorry kiddo...you can't do induction and eat peanuts. Bummer.

I had to give up Pizza myself...bummed me out...but then, THATS INDUCTION for ya! LOL!

Some time ago, DOREEN T wrote , on this topic: "Nuts and nut butters are not permitted during the 14-day Induction period. After Induction, you may move up to OWL by adding back 5g carbs per day, per week. The recommendation is to add foods back in the following order: salads, cooked veggies, cottage cheese/dairy, then nuts, then fruits, etc ...

Note that peanuts aren't a true nut, they're a legume like beans and chickpeas."

Sounds right to me!

Good luck and best wishes;
Jake

atiaran Mon, Jun-02-03 16:50

On the average, an ounce of nuts contains 5 g carbs. 1 oz of nuts is about 1/4 cup. In my experience, 1/4 cup nuts does not really fill me up, and I would have wasted 25% of my carb allotment.

Additionally, nuts do contain some natural sugar (about 2 g per oz), and one of the points of Induction is to completely reset your body from relying on sugars as the primary source of fuel. This also why it's a rule to avoid all fruit during the first two weeks.

Lisa N Mon, Jun-02-03 16:54

Peanuts are not actually a nut, but a legume (also not permitted on induction). Nuts have the effect of provoking cravings in some people as well as being hard to limit which is why they are banned during induction. They also tend to carry molds and yeasts which can cause a problem with weight loss for some folks as well as triggering those cravings again. This is the time that you want to get rid of your cravings, not prolong them.
It's only 2 weeks. Surely you can live without peanut butter for a mere 14 days?
Once you are past the induction phase, you can try adding them back in again and see of they cause cravings or stall your weight loss, but I'd encourage you to follow induction "by the book" for now.

RD64 Mon, Jun-02-03 20:17

Try the Atkins peanut butter. Its ok for induction. I used to love peanut butter but since I found out it has man made fats that are bad for you in it I don't really have any desire to eat it. The man made fats keep it creamy for a long shelf life. Bad stuff!

Bob

manucpa Mon, Jun-02-03 20:44

Visualize ! How can any food beat looking and feeling great !