Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Low carb article in SELF June 2003 issue (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109994)

Athena123 Sat, May-31-03 20:49

Low carb article in SELF June 2003 issue

There is an article in the June 2003 issue of Self Magazine that talks about Atkins. It's titled "The Lowdown on Low Carb". Basically it says that Atkins does help people lose weight, but it credits the weight loss to the old "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" theory. Also tries to say Atkins isn't healthy. The author tries to discredit any of the new studies done to show Atkins is effective by saying the participants of the study were all obese so it doesn't show how it would work on an average or slightly overweight person. There's also a part where they try to tell you how to make Atkins more healthy. The doctor they interviewed says not eat less than 225g of carbs/day! Well dude, that's a low fat diet, not Atkins!
Normally SELF is my favorite magazine. They have great healthy, beauty and fitness articles along with tons of give aways, but this article mad me kinda peeved. I was thinking about writing into the magazine, but I'm not sure yet what I'd say. If anyone wants to read the article it's on page 116-119 of the June 2003 issue.

GrlyGrl Sat, May-31-03 21:49

I read that CR*~~Y article too -- I read it while I was in line at the grocery store buying Atkins friendly foods. I did NOT buy the magazine. That article did a HUGE disservice for Self readers. The author is glaringly unprofessional -- did he/she do ANY research? That article destroyed any credibility Self writers :devil: and editors :doah: had.

I did not buy the magazine (I was too infuriated after reading the article) -- but I am definitely going to the web site to write the editors and tell them why I will never buy their magazine again.
:mad:

paradise Sun, Jun-01-03 00:10

Great, just what Atkiners need out there. Haven't seen the article, do not think I want to. I am disappointed in SELF, it, too was one of my favorite magazines (the other one is ALLURE). There are too many negative pre-conceived notions in the public about Atkins (I used to be guilty of that). People reading the SELF article will believe it's the truth because it's in print.

Athena123 Sun, Jun-01-03 09:23

Quote:
Originally posted by GrlyGrl

I did not buy the magazine (I was too infuriated after reading the article) -- but I am definitely going to the web site to write the editors and tell them why I will never buy their magazine again.
:mad:

Well, I subscribe to the magazine so I had no chose but to buy it lol. Normally the mag is really great. Now that I think about it though all their diet plans and tips are geared towards low fat diets. Oh well, I guess from now own I'll just skip the food section and only read the other sections.

I do think that if some people wrote in to tell them how wrong they are and they actually print it (which i believe they will) it will help those who are undecided on their view of Atkins. I'm going to write to them.

black57 Sun, Jun-01-03 09:28

I am going to buy the magazine just so that I can contact the editors. Not too long ago they had an article in the magazine praising the benefits of a low carb diet. This was before I started Atkins.

Black57