Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Slipped up, but not too bad (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109718)

Boondox Fri, May-30-03 19:09

Slipped up, but not too bad

My official start of Atkins was 8 days ago, but my wife had actually started me a few days before that without telling me. I thought all those steaks were just her way of saying she loved me...until she hid the beer. :confused:

But so far I'm down to 210 from 224, and have shed those sugar highs and lows. I feel thinner, but despite forum advice to the contrary have not been taking measurements. Probably don't want to know just how big I had gotten. But I've been shedding ketones for 6 days now and feel pretty good.

A couple of days ago a friend opened his business in a very rural part of Vermont. My wife and I went for moral support, met the state governor and a few senators. Major mucky-mucks here in the sticks. We were both very good at avoiding the munchies, but afterwards allowed ourselves to be talked into being taken out for dinner for all our help in the past few months. Big mistake!

It was a nice restaurant, and there was no shortage of protein on the menu, but everything was breaded, or sauteed in carb sauce...you get the picture. The waiter was very good about substituting this for that, but it took constant vigilance on our part to avoid hidden sugary stuff. We both ordered NY strip with broccoli in lieu of rice, forget the potato creation, etc. But the steak arrived dripping in some sort of sweet sauce. By this time we felt we had annoyed our host enough, so we just ate it.

I went from +++ ketones to just a trace. Worse, I felt bloated. And worse yet, when the sugar burned off I went thud both mentally and physically. I thought I'd have to start all over again, but to my surprise by late afternoon the next day I was back to +++ on the ketone scale! Not sure how that worked, but my body seems to like this way of eating! And oddly enough, I no longer miss the carbs! :spin:

Pete

cetacean Fri, May-30-03 20:11

sounds like you did the best that you could and even though some carbs were sneekily put into your meal anyway, you still came out on top. way to go! :)

Kathy54 Sat, May-31-03 00:05

Yes, a hard lesson to learn, a little sugar goes a long way once you have stopped it. Thats the major problem with Chinese food all those sugary sauces, can undo a good week of low carb'n.
Oh well, it's good that you managed to leave out the starches :thup:
Kathy

paradise Sat, May-31-03 07:28

What counts is that you tried to do the best you could with what was available. You had the best of intentions. So the steak came with an annoying sweet sauce on it? My thought, is today is a brand new day. Good job! Good luck on your LC journey!!!