Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   losing to much to fast??????? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109558)

NJCHICK218 Fri, May-30-03 09:22

losing to much to fast???????

Hi everyone yesterday was day 6 on induction, I LOST 9 POUNDS!!!! I have been VERY strict, maybe 10 carbs a day. Exercizing at the gym at least every other day, and ketosis strips turned to dark pink since day 2.
Am I not getting enough carbs? Not that Im complaining about the weight loss!! And I feel Fine, not tired/no withdrawal. Any advice is this safe?
Thanks
Regina

atiaran Fri, May-30-03 09:25

A lot of that 9 pounds may be water loss. I think that if you feel alright, then it's ok and enjoy it while it lasts. Your body will evnetually adjust to the WOE and your loss should slow down. Just make sure you're getting your carbs from veggies and drinking your water.

jamian Fri, May-30-03 09:27

I think it would be healthy for you to add more carbs, esp since you are exercising. A good way to add the is by veggies, always a good idea. Besides that though, 9# is not unusually high for the first week of induction, remember 3or four are probably just water. You will probably slow down to a healthier 3# a week or so. And just a heads up, it seems like fast initial loosers often stall the 2/3/4 week so don't get discouraged and confused if this happens, just stick with it and weight loss will become steady after about a month.

Jamian

mjchyzy Fri, May-30-03 09:28

WOW! That's great!

I recall in the book that there are people who lose that much during induction. I even remember the first time I did LC-Atkins, I lost over 11 pounds during that two weeks.

I think that as long as you feel good, you are okay. Your body would put up a fuss if you were hurting it.

You will probably be able to to this WOE with great ease and eat a larger quantity of carbs as you progress towards your goal.

Keep up the great work. AND expect a stall after you add back some carbs when you go to OWL. Your body needs to get used to the loss, and then you'll start losing again. Stall, lose, stall lose, etc.

AWESOME FOR YOU!

Note that my personal experience is that the first time you LC should be your last time - cause if you go back to the WOE you had before, and try LC again (and again).... each time you lose slower and it is harder to melt the fat. Your body understands better what you are doing I guess.

~Mary

NJCHICK218 Fri, May-30-03 09:32

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over doing it. I'll post at the end of my 14 days and let you know how much I lost!!!

GrlyGrl Fri, May-30-03 09:41

I think your rate of loss is ok, too...but.....one thing I have learned from this forum is to get 20 carbs a day -- fewer carbs won't help you at all.

Make sure you get all your vegetables and eat other carb containing foods (cream, cheese, Splenda, etc.) so that this WOE is healthy AND enjoyable. This WOE is not deprivation - it is about giving your body what it really needs. Don't deprive yourself unnecessarily.
Best wishes! :wave:

Kathy54 Fri, May-30-03 09:52

Just what I was going to throw in, try to get closer to those 20 carbs Atkins recommends, your body needs them.

Otherwise, you are doing great :D

Kathy

tink79 Fri, May-30-03 09:53

When I first began this WOE, I lost an initial 10 pounds in the first month or so... I definitely had to work in more carbs to maintain...

motis Fri, May-30-03 11:34

I lost 9 lbs during the first 5 days. Then, no loss of pounds for 3 weeks. All of a sudden on the fourth week....WHOOSH. Five lbs in 3 days. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose any more weight for a while after this. It takes your body time to get adjusted to the new weight before it lets go of more.

DON'T FORGET TO MEASURE!!

You will most often be losing more inches than pounds.

Great job on the loss! Keep working on it!! :cheer: