Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Tired and fatigued! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109543)

Stumpf2000 Fri, May-30-03 08:09

Tired and fatigued!

I know I should have put this with my last post, but I have been VERY tired on the diet and have been very fatigued to. I have very little energy and could hardly do my mronign work out. I thought you were supposed to get more energy on this diet? Is this normal? How long till I get my energy? What can i do?

HELP!

yvonne326 Fri, May-30-03 08:50

Hmmm... How long have you been doing this? Usually energy levels go up once you hit ketosis. Perhaps you need to be in ketosis. I find that the first indication that I "lost ketosis" is tiredness.

ALso taking a good multi vitamin mineral formula has helped me maintian my level of energy along with some exercise.

BrewWa Fri, May-30-03 08:51

Hi Stumpf2000!

How long have you been LCing. It's not uncommon this first few days to be feeling crappy. Then energy will return.

Have you lost all your weight LCing?

You had a previous question about how long it takes to lose weight. That is a very individual thing.

Good luck!

Cheers!

BrewWA

Stumpf2000 Fri, May-30-03 08:54

Actually, most of my weight has been lost by semi following the WW points system, excercise and most recently, just eating to satisfy hunger. I hit a stall and needed motivation so I thought i would mix it up a little... hence the LCing.

jamian Fri, May-30-03 09:02

LC isn't just a quick fix diet or a way to add variety. If at heart you are a low caler you might not have much success with LC. The ideals of LC are in many ways opposite to low cal and you need to commit to thinking differently about food. The most notable change is the way we see fat. You need *lots of fat* in your meal plans, and this is a hard adjustment if you're used to low cal, you might check that. 50-70% of your cals should be fat. If you are eating all lean protein foods you might not be in ketosis, and like the others said, that could be the reason for your fatigue.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you. :roll:

Jamian

2berners Fri, May-30-03 09:03

If you're restricting calories and feeling fatigued, that's probably why. Low carb is not a strict calorie counting WOE. Also, a lot of people have a problem eating as much fat as they're supposed on this WOE, especially if they're coming from a fat restrictive diet. Good luck.

GrlyGrl Fri, May-30-03 09:30

I agree with 2berners: Make sure you are eating enough and getting enough fat . Without a lot of carbs, your body uses FAT for energy. Drinking lots of water will also keep energy levels up.

Don't count points, don't count calories. Eat until you are satisfied, eat when you are hungry, eat FAT.