Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Switching to Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=108073)

Charran Sun, May-25-03 09:45

Switching to Protein Power

Well Hello E1. As of Tuesday, I will be switching from Atkins to the Protein Power Plan. I read the book rather quickly to get the basic idea of it, but now I think I will go through it more carefully as I find I'm confused a little about some things. Does anyone know if the Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan are basically the same? I have the original Protein Power book and now I'm wondering if I should have gotten the other one instead. I'm really hoping Protein Power will work out better for me. I was feeling really dragged out on the Atkins plan and after trying everything I could think of to solve it, I finally decided that maybe just switching plans might be better. I know there aren't too many differences, however I think maybe the increased carbs might do me good as well as having minimum amounts of protein. Which is a good question now that I'm thinking about it. I find it hard to eat that much protein at once. How does everyone here handle that?

Ms_Pat Mon, May-26-03 06:38

Hey Charran

It's only me, Pat just lurking around. Make sure you still come and visit us in our original buddy group with Geri and the gang; we're all still in this together no matter what plan we decide is best for us.

I read in the "Which Low- Carb plan is right for you section" that PP and PPL are essentially the same. PP was written in 1995 and PPL was written in 2000 and it's and updated version with updated informatin on studies that have come out since the first book.

According to the site PPL offers a broader coverage on a lot of topics including: fats, magnesium, anti-oxidants, sunbathing, iron, cholesterol and others.

It sounds like you'll be okay with the first book just to get started and once you decide that it's right for you then venture out and read up on the additional reaserch and studies. That's sort of what I did with Atkins, I had the old 1972 book first then after a couple of months when I decide I was going to stick with it, I purchased the new book.

Good luck and can't wait to hear how you're doing.

Pat

Karen Mon, May-26-03 08:34

I think that PP is the book you should start with but there is also a lot of great information in PPLP.

THe protein amounts are the minimum you should be having each day. It's alright to and sometimes even desireble to go over the minimum.

What works best for me is eating smaller meals with less protein but more frequently during the day. I don't do it consistently, but I feel best when I eat this way.

Most lettuces are unlimited on PP so they don't have to part of your daily count. There's more details in the food charts.

Watch out for carb creep with PP because it allows limited amounts of fruits and grain products. When it says 1/2 apple or one Wasa cracker, take it to heart!

HTH,

Karen