Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fat Flush plan (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107821)

lawoman Sat, May-24-03 05:48

Fat Flush plan

Hi everyone! Just wondering how many Fat Flushers we have on here.I have been on it for 3 wks.,lost 12 lbs. and feel wonderful. It is not as easy as the Atkins WOE (which I still love and respect) I went on it because after losing 68 lbs. on Atkins I got too bold and did not follow the LC plan as close and gained back 20 of those lbs. :mad: When I decided to get right with myself again,nothing would happen. However, I think,as the wonderful ,late Dr. once said,if you really get stuck,it sometimes helps to try another LC plan, and it can help. Once again,Dr. Atkins was right.We will surely miss such a smart man.

So,if there is anyone else out there to share some success with me,or help if you are struggling,just reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible...

Have a great LC Day,

Linda

jaykay Sat, May-24-03 12:06

Hi Linda - I started on the Fat Flush plan, I read it in a magazine and it was that which started me low carbing.
Good luck with it - I've just managed to put back on about 10 pounds through carb and calorie creep, so maybe I'll look at it again!
all the best, Jay

Bloom Sat, May-24-03 19:12

HI Linda, I did Fat Flush last year some time after Id lost about 20 lb on Atkins and cam eto a halt for 2 months. I easirly dropped another 10lb.
Since then Ive piled it back on again as you can see from my stats. I seriously doubt my own ability to LC long term and if LCing is to be a 'diet' for me I will never maintain any loss, I need to make a lifestlye change that can be permanant so I am evaluating my opitions.
FF was certainly a great program, congrats on your sucess's :)

queenbeear Sun, May-25-03 09:13

I am new to this site, and have been lo-carbing for almost a month. I have never heard of this fat flush in any of the books I have read. Can you briefly describe what this is, or where I could find more information on this? Thanks....Queenbee

doreen T Sun, May-25-03 12:03

hi Queenbee,

The "Fat Flush Plan" is a published book by Anne Louise Gittleman. Bloom has written an excellent review, and you can read it in our Plan Comparisons forum ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=46684

It is a low calorie plan, but not super low fat ... Gittleman emphasizes the importance of consuming moderate amounts of healthy natural fats from flax, fish, lean meats and whole eggs. Lowest glycemic vegetables and fruits are permitted. The first 2 weeks of the program are the most restrictive .. this is the "fat flush phase". Works out to be roughly 1200 calories per day, with approx 50 - 80g carbs, depending on your choices. During the 2nd phase of the plan, which you follow for the entire weight loss period .. it's the same as the first phase, but you may have a serving of whole grain bread or some brown rice, or maybe a ½ cup of starchy vegetable such as squash or peas. Needless to say, the carb count is higher.

Dairy products, cheese, cream etc and nuts are strictly forbidden for the entire weight loss period, due to their allergenic potential and hormone concerns. The diet is also salt-free and fermented foods-free ... so no vinegar (except for pure apple cider vinegar), pickles, mustards, sauerkraut, soy sauce and the like. No store-bought mayonnaise or salad dressings; no oils other than flax.

Lifetime maintenance is more liberal of course, but still you must maintain control of portions and avoid refined carbs and "bad fats". You may indulge in some dairy foods and nuts occasionally, and other types of unrefined fats, such as olive oil and butter.

I've done the 2 week "fat flush" phase, with some success to relieve fluid retention and bloating. But, the bloating returned when I resumed eating salty foods and dairy products. Hard to give those things up for life :(

Doreen

queenbeear Sun, May-25-03 14:15

Hi Doreen,

Thanks for the quick response. The plan does seem quite a bit more restrictive than the Atkins plan I'm following, especially since I enjoy the heavy cream, cheese, etc. I plan to stick with my current WOE, but will definitely read further on this topic for when I reach a stall and need a boost. Thanks again, Queenbee

lawoman Tue, May-27-03 17:25

Hi All

Thanks Doreen for the wondeful summation of the FF plan.It would have taken me volumes to say what you said in a few paragraphs. :D

The FF plan is more restrictive and I have done it now for a month and that has not bothered me.I like the structure of it as on Atkins I ate too much of legal things and on this plan I don't crave anything and I'm never hungry.I actually have a hard time fitting in the food. I really think it is a healthy assett for those who get stalled on Atkins and need a boost.Then,perhaps,if you do atkins again,you could modify for continued weight loss or like me,choose to stay on the plan if you feel so good.

I hope this helped you,too. If anyone wants a sample day of the FF plan ,which I follow most days ,to see if you might like it,I'll post one for you. Whatever LC plan you follow I wish you all the best.We are all in this for the long-haul and together...

Linda

CharM Wed, May-28-03 07:33

Linda,

After low carbing for almost 9 months - I decided to give the FF a try, after I saw the success my sister had.

She lost 2" off each thigh :eek: and I think 8 pounds in the initial 2 weeks. (an overall total of 10 inches)

I tired it - for 2 weeks (well 13 1/2 days) - and did OK in the weight loss (9 pounds) but no where near the inch loss my (younger - thinner) sister achieved. I did lose 1/2" off each thigh, and an 1" off my waist and maybe a 1/2" off my hips and 1 1/2" off my bust. I cheated big time on Mother's day and ended up gaining 5 pounds back.

It is a very restrictive diet - the only part I enjoyed was the orange and apple I had for snacks. I hated no salt - and had a little bit of an allergic reaction to the lemon juice each morning (my neck broke out in a red rash).

I figured it I used the same principle of restricting foods to Atkins Induction - I could "enjoy" the food I ate. I went back on Atkins induction, and after 2"1/2 weeks, I have lost the 5 I gained plus 1 more. It is slow going, but I am losing, and this is a way of life I can live with. (check out my journal - I posted daily while on the FF - in the last couple of days - did find some food that was OK)

I have continued with some of the FF food. I make my own LC protien shake, and each morning and I add a T of the pysllium husk and a T of the Flax oil (it has kept me very regular, which was often a side effect of "super low carbing".)

Good luck to you..........

Char

lawoman Wed, May-28-03 12:37

Thanks Char

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well back on Atkins.I have stayed in Phase 1 of FF all but for a sweet potato this week (which was wonderful with Flax oil and cinn. :p ) The only other thing I do is that I use a bit of Newman's olive oil/vin. dressing for my salads and some No salt Mrs. Dash. Anne also made it ok to use a pinch of sea salt and that sure helps.It was added when she wrote the cookbook. Also,you could use lime instead of lemon or half lemon/half lime. I'm not sure about the inch loss yet as I have not measured.I meant to yesterday as it was one month but never got around to it.

I will look forward to visiting your journal and catching up with how your FF plan went.Did you exercise,too?I was doing really well on that but with getting the house ready for a move,I've been slouching. :( I do plan to pick up on that now that everything is about done,but gee,I was getting plenty anyway,if you know what I mean.Moving sure is tough on a person. :eek:

Take care,
Linda