Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Memorial Day BBQ help! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107766)

Brandon Fri, May-23-03 21:06

Memorial Day BBQ help!

I've got to go to my parents for Memorial day.. and guess what, it's a cook out! I'm talking hot dogs, burger, bratwurst, everything. To make matters worse, our neighbors will be there. How would you all deal with this? I don't want to start eating LC and have people questioning me why I'm not using a bun or not eating there home cooked biscuits, etc.. I'd eat before hand, but I don't want to seem rude for not eating the food provided. Help! :)

Brandon

menaz Sat, May-24-03 20:36

This may help you out!

I asked a question very similar to this not to long ago below is a link to that post and the replies.

I found that if I just explain that I am trying something new it doesn't turn in to a huge deal... Hope the link helps!
Sarah

Helpful Link

ladybugvv Sun, May-25-03 20:43

In my experience, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I eat out with people from work all the time, and most people don't even notice that I'm eating lo-carb. Guess they think I'm weird for eating bacon & eggs at lunch occasionally, though. Usually I have a chesseburger patty or grilled chicken salad.

Anyway, the few who have really noticed & been intrigued. They ask questions and most say they wish they had my willpower. I have little willpower, but I have found focusing on how I want the scale to be the same or lower tomorrow makes it easy (er :rolleyes: ).

Besides, whose business is it what you eat? Just eat what you should and don't worry about those others. It's not for them to worry about.

YOUR WEIGHT IS YOUR BUSINESS!!!!

surrender Mon, May-26-03 08:52

I see that this is uncomfortable for you... I can relate...But for me I am doing what I need to do. "To thine own self be true".

I called the girl who house I am going to for a BBQ and I asked her to have her husband not put any sauce on my steak and that I am on the atkins diet, LCing and I fixed myself my own version of cole slaw without the sugar and I am taking a salad. When I show up there 12 pounds lighter in one month I am sure she will be curious and I am going to give her this web page so if she wants she can look into it. She is close to 200 and has expressed her uncomfortability with that weight....

So go and have a good time..And be an example of healthy eating...

Brandon Mon, May-26-03 10:41

Thanks for the advice.. I'm planning on eating before and I'm going to take it from there. I've already had to turn down doughnuts, pizza, and brownies this weekend so hopefully I'll continue to stay the course tonight!

Brandon Mon, May-26-03 18:39

I want to thank everyone for the ideas and support. I decided to bring buffalo wings to the BBQ so I had about 7-8 of those and some celerey sticks, and had half a bratwurst (sans bun of course) so I got out of there with eating about 8 carbs total.. Thanks again :)