Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Comments Box and Technical Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Suggestion -- post indicators (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107405)

Coriolis Thu, May-22-03 15:03

Suggestion -- post indicators

This has got to be one of the fastest moving forums I've ever visited, and no doubt the largest member base I've encountered -- kudos to the founders, admins and mods for doing such a great job here! :thup:

I do have one suggestion. I find that it's hard to locate threads that I posted in, even half hour to hour later, that thread could be way down the forum page, or even to the next page, and if I don't recall the title (given the nature of this forum, they are often similar) or author it's sort of a hit and miss approach until I find it.

Other vBulletin boards I frequent often place a small circle or solid dot on the topic icons (the envelope thingies) to indicate to the user they posted to that thread. I think the change is fairly easy to implement (I might even be able get my hands on the hack code needed if necessary).

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Again -- great site! :)

tamarian Thu, May-22-03 15:09

Hi Coriolis,

The "dot" is not a hack, it's a standard feature of vBulletin that can be turned on or off.

We have decided to turn it off due to the size of the forum, since it does add to the load on the forum, extra query.

However, we have not tried it yet on this new server, so I will give it a try and see if it causes any problems.

So I'll turn it on for a while an see how it goes. Thanks for the reminder for the "dot" :)

Wa'il

Rosebud Thu, May-22-03 15:23

If you click on the "search" icon at the bottom of each of your posts, that will take you to all of your previous posts.
And going to "profile" at the top right of the page, will take you to all your posts from this visit.

Maybe that will help?

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Coriolis Thu, May-22-03 21:30

Thanks Tamarian for responding so promptly! Hopefully it won't bog down the server too much... I can certainly understand that the additional SQL query on a site this big could be tremendous load on the server.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
If you click on the "search" icon at the bottom of each of your posts, that will take you to all of your previous posts.
And going to "profile" at the top right of the page, will take you to all your posts from this visit.

Maybe that will help?

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Ahh! That is indeed helpful, Rosebud. I saw the search icon, but assumed it took you to the site search engine... I see now it automatically searches for the prior posts of the poster. Hmmm... now I might have to suggest this feature to some of the other boards I frequent! :)

doreen T Fri, May-23-03 14:32

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
....We have decided to turn it off due to the size of the forum, since it does add to the load on the forum, extra query.

However, we have not tried it yet on this new server, so I will give it a try and see if it causes any problems.

So I'll turn it on for a while an see how it goes.
Alas, the "dot" has proved to be too much of a load, so it's disabled again.

Sorry :(

Doreen

Coriolis Fri, May-23-03 21:54

Oh well, thanks for giving it a shot! :)

I'll use the approach Rosebud suggested.

Thanks!