Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   65-70% fat (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105346)

Louisa Wed, May-14-03 13:32

65-70% fat

I hear many of you talking about dividing up daily intake into 65-70 fat, 20-25% protien and the rest in carbs.

I am wondering where this (besides the carb amount) measurement came from. I haven't seen it in the Adkins book----but do appreciate knowing, as I wasn't sure if I was eating TOO much fat (about 55%).

Thanks....

Louisa

vbrowne Wed, May-14-03 13:52

Louisa - I thought it was in the book, oh well, it's been so long since I read it through - those are the stats I go by, you'll lose more by upping your fat to that amount - try it and see - at 55%, nothing would happen.

Vikki

paradise Wed, May-14-03 15:52

I don't remember seeing it in DANDR either. I think the ratio came up through trial and error and experience on the posters' part. Now, it's just the Golden Rule.

Paleoanth Wed, May-14-03 16:22

I think it is just board wisdom, but it seems to work well for me

chelles Wed, May-14-03 21:52

I go to fitday.com before I eat dinner to see what I need to do to get my fat above 75% and my carbs between 5 - 10%. Then I'll just add some olive oil or mayo or cream cheese to my dinner if I need it.

I've found that 75% fat is my magic number!

Louisa Thu, May-15-03 06:51

Well, I don't doubt all of you and your success with the high fat intake. I AM getting used to it, but it's weird. I can feel that I've lost some fat (around my middle), but I won't weigh again until monday. I think I'm going to need to re-work the way I've been eating on the Adkins, because I still am pushing to get the fat to 65%. Yesterday, it was 63%. I just feel like, okay, if I eat 2-3 tblsp. of fat to get the fat content up, I'll have added 300 calories to my daily intake! I know that my intake should be more that on the usual diet, but 300 calories is a huge jump. Anyone have some quick ideas on high fat (nearly 100%) snacks?

paradise Thu, May-15-03 06:57

Avocados are high in good fat (although not 100%).

fairchild Thu, May-15-03 07:51

Fat fast

For ideas for high fat shack items-
check out the fat fast in DANDR-it must be on his website as well www.atkinscenter.com
He lists several 200 calorie all fat 'snacks' there.
Macadamia nuts are great snacks if you can eat them.
I think the percentages of fat being high comes from the concepts of ketosis where you are a fat burning machine- he also describes a high fat percentage as being the successful factor for metabolic resistance in the fat fast section of DANDR.

Kaillean Thu, May-15-03 13:29

Not sure where the percentages came from either.

FWIW - after Dr. Atkins died, they reported that he ate 65% fat every day.

Kaillean