Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Firming lotions? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105271)

chelles Wed, May-14-03 09:39

Firming lotions?

Has anyone tried the firming lotions now available? They're supposed to show a difference in 8 weeks, and I'm too impatient to try them out for that long without knowing they work.

orzabelle Wed, May-14-03 09:41

They are all sort of a waste of money. No lotion has the capability of firming up your skin, othen than a temporary effect, usually caused by caffeine or some other stimulant in the lotion.

People who market these things are brilliant, the way they try to convince us that they really work, but the don't... Sort of an 'emperor's new clothes' sort of thing.

hippygal Wed, May-14-03 09:46

no

I don't believe the hype.

Boom Wed, May-14-03 09:51

You're going to laugh, but one time I read a tip somewhere about an 8 hour "fix" (very temporary indeed) for cellulite on legs.

RUB Preparation H all over your thighs and VOILA. Let me know what you think. It works for me!

vbrowne Wed, May-14-03 10:03

Prep H works for the bags under your eyes too. I wouldn't spend money on those toning / firming lotions, they are expensive and don't work - keep exercising and drinking lots of water, even get a tan, that makes us all look firmer.

Vikki

Boom Wed, May-14-03 10:05

Get a HEALTHY tan - use self-tanner. I use it almost every day on my face to ward off the green pale undertones to my skin in winter. I love it.

vbrowne Wed, May-14-03 10:16

I know this is off the LC topic, but I've been debating about self-tanners, I'm worried about streaking and being very orange - what do you use?

Vikki

orzabelle Wed, May-14-03 10:27

I use this Coppertone stuff. Comes in a greenish container. I stay away from my ankle bones! (That's where the orange problem seems to happen)

I only do my legs. Unfortunately, there's no way to do it all-over without looking ridiculous. I only do it for bathing suit wearing, and am sure to get it well above the leg-holes.

vbrowne Wed, May-14-03 10:30

I've seen this advertised too - skeptical though.

Vikki

http://www.mystictan.com/

Boom Wed, May-14-03 10:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom
Get a HEALTHY tan - use self-tanner. I use it almost every day on my face to ward off the green pale undertones to my skin in winter. I love it.

I use Neutrogena Bronzer/Tanner for Face, and whatever for legs. They have come a looong way. Go to www.epinions.com and read about the different ones.

WeeOne Wed, May-14-03 11:12

The firming lotions don't work. I wouldn't even try them, too expensive.

Although, I love the new shimmery lotion that has the copper in it. I think it is made by Jergens. It gives your skin a coppery like glow, that makes your skin look smoother. It is only about $5.

As for self tanners, I use the Coppertone for light skin, the one in the green container when I have no natural color. I put it on my legs, arms and chest. At Walmart you can buy a foam like glove thing to apply it with and it works WONDERFUL!!! Much better that using your bare hands. It doesnt get between you fingers and makes it easier to apply, goes on much smoother.

Wee

chelles Wed, May-14-03 11:24

I've read a million reviews (magazine/newspaper writers trying it out) about the Mystic tan.

It's apparently the greatest thing since sliced cheese. The spray is very even and you don't get any streaking.

swoozle Wed, May-14-03 11:30

It does work!

Though I wouldn't spend $50 on the Shiseido (sp?) variety of firming lotion, I do think it's worth the $5 or so it costs for the new Jergen's firming lotion (or other drugstore brands).

I JUST bought it, and have already noticed a small difference. My friend uses hers religiously and swears it has significantly reduced the appearance of cellulite on her midriff.

I'm always open to trying anything once. If it doesn't work, return it! :)

red1cutie Wed, May-14-03 11:32

OMGosh, I tried the neutrogena and I used the darker one. I did not apply it properly and did not realize it until it was done....lol. It streaked and looked so ridiculous. Make sure if you use it you know how to apply it and use a loofah first or else... :eek: If I ever do it again I will go and get it professionally done.

Good luck.

Peace
red

pegva Wed, May-14-03 13:09

VIKKI

The mystic tan is great (yet a little pricey)...
you stand in the booth on a metal plate... you are given a very low charge so that you are one charge, the mist is the opposite... this is why it is so even.
When you get out... you towel off (if you don't, it will streak).
I loved it! But at $30 a pop here in VA... I only do it occasionally and fill in with my Coppertone Ultimate Summer lotion.

I don't tan (naturally) at all... so "fake" tans are my only option.