Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Can I "Cheat" With Good Carbs??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105172)

paradise Tue, May-13-03 18:49

Can I "Cheat" With Good Carbs???

Hi! I've pretty much been at the same weight for the past five months. I made it through the holidays fine (losing weight over Thanksgiving and losing weight over Xmas and New Year's). I've been LCing for 9 1/2 months and have been diligent about not cheating. I've been trying to decide if my body has settled in to its ideal body weight, which is just short of goal. I've been reading other posters cheating or binging and getting a little whoosh as a response. Sounds tempting but I can't justify putting refined carbs into my body for the sake of weightloss (not to mention that I don't know if my body will react with the cramps, headaches, bloated-ness, etc. that other posters report). I usually take in 40-50g of carbs a day. I have been keeping my fat % up between 65-70% daily. Question is, can I shock my system by raising my carbs to 90-100g of "permitted" carbs?

red1cutie Tue, May-13-03 19:29

Hi paradise! Is 50g your CCL? I don't think you should do what you are suggesting. If I were you I would increase your fat above 70% and see what happens. Give it some time to work when you do that.

Good luck!

Peace
red

chelles Tue, May-13-03 20:29

If I was going to do this, I'd use berries or another fruit to raise carb levels. I could probably eat a cup and half of strawberries, but if I were cheating with donuts or brownies, I'd end up eating 5 or 6.

Pick something you like that's forbidden, but isn't really too bad. Maybe wheat toast or a good fruit.

Karen Wed, May-14-03 00:14

You might want to look at the reversal diet outlined in Atkins book. It's low-fat and high carb. Grains, fruits and the like.

Karen

whyspers Wed, May-14-03 06:25

Karen...where is the reversal diet in Dr. A's book? Are we talking about DANDR? I've heard it mentioned here before, but as many times as I've read DANDR...I still haven't read it there. It sounds interesting.

Also...being four lbs. from goal, I'm wondering if doing induction again for two weeks while watching the calories would get rid of those last couple of pounds. Has anyone tried this when they are close to goal?

L

paradise Wed, May-14-03 19:46

Yesterday, I upped my carbs to 72g, obviously my fat percentage fell for the day. The scale was down a pound from the day before (but that could very well be normal daily fluctuations). Decided to stay more in my 40-50g of carbs today. Red suggested trying to raise my fat percentage above 70%. Right now, I am doing all I can to keep my fat percentage up (short of eating a stick of butter) but what else can I do to raise it? I may give myself two weeks of tweaks, if nothing really happens, then I may raise my goal.

red1cutie Wed, May-14-03 19:59

I know someone else on this forum who got down to 117 lbs and wanted to get down to 115 lbs she increased her fat above 70% and in three weeks she reached her goal of 115. Try it and give your body time to adjust. Be patient your body is trying to fight you but you are stronger.

I keep my fat up with olive oil. I have it by the tablespoon because I am trying to keep my fat above 70%. It sounds yuck but its good fat and it brings my fat percentage up.

Good luck paradise.

Peace
red

Karen Wed, May-14-03 21:51

Quote:
Karen...where is the reversal diet in Dr. A's book? Are we talking about DANDR?

It's on page 288 of the 1992 paperback edition.

Karen

paradise Thu, May-15-03 06:49

Thanks red! I'll try it.

Louisa Thu, May-15-03 06:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
It's on page 288 of the 1992 paperback edition.

Karen

Is it anywhere in the new addition? I don't have the 1992 paperback!

Also, what would happen if you lowered your carbs to 20-30 instead of the 40-50 you're eating now. Would that start the fat loss going again?

Curious to know what works for all of you........I'm sure I'll get stalled along the way here and it will be helpful to know what works for the rest of you.

Best, and good Thursday to all of you!
Louisa