Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Newbie with questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105004)

kathjef Tue, May-13-03 07:28

Newbie with questions

Hi!
My name is Kathy and I live in beautiful Willow Street, Pennsylvania. I have 7 children ranging in age from 24 to 3. I have a terrific supportive husband. I work as a server and preschool teacher. My oldest is getting married August 23rd and I want to look GOOD for his wedding.

Well this is day 7 of induction for me and I have some questions for all of you. I have a few complications that I was wondering if anyone else has or knows about. First, I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago, so I sometimes fight the runs with high fat. Second I am on two anxiety medications. Both made me gain weight but I don't know if that should be a problem. Second I bought the Ketosis strips and I had a trace last week but this week it is registering negative. I have that metallic breath some people talk about. I have read Atkins book and go no where without it, but it really dosen't answer these questions for me. Can anyone help me? Is it so good to have a forum like this.

I hope to get to know you all!!

Blessings-
Kathy :confused:

No_Lemons Tue, May-13-03 07:40

I don't want to discourage you, but your medications could be a problem...

I spent 7 years on various anti-depressants and gained about 10-12 pounds a year...diets of ANY kind did not work. Atkins talks about medications in his book (I think Ch. 20) and tries to get you to go "natural" . That may not be realistic for you.

I recently got off my meds and have started LCing for the 3rd time and am doing much better in my success.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think your meds will hinder your progress.

Rosebud Tue, May-13-03 18:40

Hi Kathy, welcome!

Re your gallbladder: you might find you have fewer problems with diarrhoea if you have frequent small meals, rather than 3 squares a day. And perhaps you could try moderate, rather than high fat meals.

There have been many members post here who have had their GB removed and most have no problems low carbing. This former thread may help you.

As for the medications, yes, they may slow your loss a little, but try to look at the big picture. If you do not continue with a low carb plan, you are likely to continue increasing your weight, so I would say a slow decrease is better than none. ;)

I personally think the ketostix are a total waste of time and money. Losing weight is far more important than changing the colour of a bit of plastic. :D I know when I'm in ketosis by the yicky taste in my mouth. So if you have that metallic taste, yep, you're in ketosis. But even better, you've already lost some weight. :thup:

Happy low carbing!

:rose:Rosebud:rose: