Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   not feeling like crap, doing something wrong? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102426)

buzzman Thu, May-01-03 16:26

not feeling like crap, doing something wrong?

Was a 400+ carb/day junky, would eat half a loaf of bread occassionally toasted with margarine on it, taco bell, mcdonalds, etc,etc. drank only mountain dews up to about a month ago but would still drink a lot of dews up to starting atkins

Ok, been holding to atkins good since sunday morning, taking vitamins, drinking 100+ ozs water/day, ketostix show moderate ketosis since tuesday etc....

The one person I know personally who has tried atkins felt like crap the first 5 or so days. Other people on this forum have commented that they feel/felt like crap for the first few days up to a week or two.

Question is, am i doing something wrong that i don't feel like crap and haven't since starting? Not really felt at all bad since starting. Or are others of you like this that you didn't feel bad when you started?

Elihnig Thu, May-01-03 16:35

Some people don't have any problems when they start Atkins. Usually you only hear from people if they have problems and it makes it seem like everyone feels that way.

The first time I got into Atkins I had no adverse effects.

There...another person to keep you company.

Beth

SweetSheri Thu, May-01-03 16:37

Hey Buzzman, You are lucky and I'm sure there are other ppl like you so don't worry! I had the nausa at first but didnt last long. It is hard to give up the mountain dews, I use to be an addict too. I quit before I started atkins and had such a headach but now Im over it. Keep up the good work and good luck! :D :wave:

Kaillean Thu, May-01-03 16:38

I'm one of those who must confess sheepishly that this WOE has been rather good to me.

I had a moderately bad headache on the first day of Induction. All afternoon - no aspirin would touch it.

Next day I felt great and have ever since, except a few days here and there where my energy is down. Nothing like before lo-carb though.

I also do not have the keto breath and smelly sweat some folks complain of. Neither has constipation been an issue. I eat a lot of veggies and stay away from fake foods of any kind.

Count your blessing! I sure do.

K. :thup:

Chasintrai Thu, May-01-03 18:55

I never had a problem either. So don't feel bad about not feeling bad ;>

menaz Thu, May-01-03 19:08

Me TOO

Hello,
I am on the 7th day and really enjoy eating the way I have been.

I really have not had any crappy feelings so I think were in the same boat...

I have noticed that allot of people who say they have had issues were not huge meat eaters before the start of Atkins... who knows maybe that has something to do with it?

:)

jerppt Thu, May-01-03 19:19

Same here!!

Hey Buzzman
I have been on Atkins for 3 days and have not had any side effects either-YEAH!!! :p
I took the opportunity to detox myself of caffeine 1 week before Atkins so I would not have that side effect and the sugar/carb one too.
I think that is what helped me alot
Good Luck LCing!!

buzzman Thu, May-01-03 19:22

thanks

thanks for the quick replies, glad to find out i'm not a loner

I'm loving this woe, it's so cool, but kinda hard being a cable guy :cool:

Only thing I really miss though is a big glass of chocolate milk now and then :(

buzz

Kaillean Fri, May-02-03 12:30

Buzzman,

Once you're through Induction, you should experiment with a subsitute for chocolate milk.

Lots of milk cravers try heavy cream diluted with water and chilled to make a nice glass of milk. You could try adding cocoa and a bit of Splenda?

Or have a chocolate protein shake!

I make breakfast shakes with 1 scoop of Whey protein, a few raspberries, .5 c plain yogurt (there's info on this if you search for yogurt - if you get yogurt with active cultures, the cultures feed on most of the lactose - milk sugar - making for a net carb count of about 4 per cup). Whey protein comes in plain, chocolate, vanilla or strawberry.

Good luck!

waldorfmom Sun, May-04-03 00:09

I felt great too

Hi Cableguy
I never had any of the loss of energy or yucky feelings that I've seen other folks post on this forum. Until I read those postings, I figured this was the way I was supposed to feel: more energy and generally very well.
So don't worry - you're one of the lucky ones! :roll:
Good luck on your journey!
:rheart: Waldorfmom

ItBeMeUSee Sun, May-04-03 05:34

I also gave up coffee once I started the plan. Would normally drink 3 large cups to wake up! So I just assumed I felt crappy because of this.

strohrl Sun, May-04-03 06:58

I have felt pretty good ever since I started this wol andits been over a month. I had a pretty good stall but that is gone now! :D