Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   question about eggs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102140)

ttaylor001 Wed, Apr-30-03 11:37

question about eggs

Hi, I am trying to follow Atkins and so far, week 2, I have not lost any weight. I only have about 15 pounds to lose so I am not discouraged yet. I have decided to drop the Atkins bars and protein shakes in case they are hindering my progress.

I love eggs but I usually have one whole egg and two whites in my omelette. It seems a waste. Is there a limit on how many eggs I can have per day? I would certainly have a heartier omelette if I used all 3 yolks. I am a bit worried about the cholesterol and fat issue, although I know I am not supposed to be.

Thanks,

Tamara

vbrowne Wed, Apr-30-03 11:40

Eat the yolks - go for a 3 egg omelette with lots of cheese and enjoy! Remember to count the carbs in the eggs and cheese. I don't know of a limit on eggs other than if you ate too many, I'm sure you'd be kind of stinky!

Vikki

hippygal Wed, Apr-30-03 11:54

nope

Eggs are listed as free foods in the book "Atkins".
Go for it .

ttaylor001 Wed, Apr-30-03 12:29

Thanks for the input. I think it is just a societal thing where we have been trained that eggs are bad for you. I am going to give it a try and see if I can stay away from the bars and shakes.

Thanks!

Tamara

Laura D Wed, Apr-30-03 12:46

I have been known to eat six eggs in one day before, and I feel fine.

And I just keep losing!

Katana Wed, Apr-30-03 13:12

Tamara

If you are only on week 2, you really really should not have any shakes or bars in any case...

Sticking to induction is important to jump start the process.

Also, there are some common reasons that people get stalled:

1. Not drinking enough water
2. Not exercising
3. Not getting enough calories
4. Not getting enough fat - try using fitday, and aim for about 65-70% fat, 25-30% protein, and 5% carbs. Also you can see how many calories you are getting. Even though you generally don't need to count calories on this plan as long as you are eating legal food, and not binging, some people find they need to stay in a certain range.
5. Hidden sugars, or bad carb sources. Eating shakes and bars may be the reason. Or, cheese stalls some people. What kind of artificial sweetners are you using, if any? Are you drinking caffeine?

Also, the less weight you have to lose, the slower it is to come off.

Definitely, definitely work on changing your mind set regarding fat and cholesterol. You can't make it on the plan if you don't.

Hope this helps - hang in there, it'll happen.

TomC Wed, Apr-30-03 13:29

Eggs I leave in the eat as many as I want group. Sometimes I fry up two for a quick snack to take the edge off of hunger, other times I make up a super duper Tom's kitchen sink omellette surprise.

Mind that stinky remark posted above. Seriously.

I remember I made up a batch of a dozen deviled eggs. Mmmm Mmm. Boy they are delicious. I could eat a whole batch in one sitting. Fortunately I opted to pop 3-4 here and there and they lasted the entire day.

Let's just say that night I had to sleep with the window open and the fan directed at my backside when I slept. Sheesh.

I wonder if the whites or the yolks are the evil scent producing culprit. That sulfer smell. Anyone know the chemistry?

Tom, The Flatulent