Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Plain Yogurt (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100584)

jealibeanz Wed, Apr-23-03 10:55

Plain Yogurt

What type of yogurt does everybody buy? I've been eating Dannon's whole milk plain yogurt. I was considering switching to fat free, because there are less calories. Depending on where you look, fat free sometimes has less carbs because of the fewer calories. Maybe I could eat fat free and add some seeds? Or would it be better just to eat the whole milk yogurt plain?

atiaran Wed, Apr-23-03 11:05

Fat free yogurt has cornstarch and sugar added!! :nono:
The carbs in whole milk plain yogurt typically come do not come from those (although some brands do have them added). Additionally, the carbs listed on the plain yogurt do not take into account that the cultures in the yogurt use up most of the milk's natural sugars. One cup of plain whole milk yogurt has about 6 to 8g net effective carbs or less.

I have never seen low fat or fat free have fewer carbs per serving than regular.

Skamito Wed, Apr-23-03 11:16

Sometimes low fat doesn't have more carbs, but fat free almost always does. It depends how the manufacturer MAKES it less fat. Sometimes using skimming ways doesn't increase the carb count.

Look at Stoneyfield Farms. They have good yogurt.

I much prefer the taste and texture of whole milk yogurt myself. :)

jealibeanz Wed, Apr-23-03 11:35

Fat free yogurt has cornstarch and added carbs? Why? I'm not talking about flavored yogurt, I mean the plain kind.

jealibeanz Wed, Apr-23-03 11:38

My mistake, fat free does not have fewer carbs, but low fat does have the same number as whole milk. This is according to the stats on Dannon's website. Lowfat plain yogurt has the same amount of carbs, higher protein, and fewer calories. How many carbs do you count for each type? I thought it was 4 for whole milk, but I'm not sure about the others.

Lindae Wed, Apr-23-03 11:39

Brown Cow

I eat Brown Cow yougart. It's only ingrediant is milk and lots of bacteria. It's organic and I buy it at a health food store. I have found it before in a regular grocery store but not on a regular basis. I really like the sour bite of yougart and this one tastes great!

lkonzelman Wed, Apr-23-03 11:43

I read it is -8 carbs for one cup of full fat plain yogurt (this is the carbs you don't need to count for the active cultures that are digested differently). Usually adds up to 4 carbs a cup but some combinations would be higher.

atiaran Wed, Apr-23-03 11:54

I was referring to the flavored kind. My mistake!

vicrock Wed, Apr-23-03 12:04

I wonder if you could make yoghurt out of heavy cream that would have less carbs than that of milk?

Years ago, I had one of those yoghurt makers - and it was pretty easy - and tasty too.