Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   cabbage rolls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=100330)

nikkil Tue, Apr-22-03 06:58

cabbage rolls

I was craving cabbage rolls like crazy (don't know why since I haven't eaten them in years :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I threw together these ingredients and it came out AWESOME!! Forgive me if I'm not as creative as I thought I was, and somebody has already come up with this...

1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1/4 c. water
1 packet splenda
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
2 tbsp oil
salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Cook ground beef with seasonings and transfer to casserole dish. pile cabbage on top of gr. beef. Combine tomato sauce, water, oil and splenda and pour over top of cabbage. Cover and bake at 300 for 2+ hours.

I know it's a long baking time, but it allows the cabbage to get really soft and the water to evaporate and tomato to blend with the meat. Gives the meat a nice 'roasted' flavour, too.

Very tomato-y, sweet and meaty.

Nicole

ps--could try it with cauli-flied rice for stuffing cabbage leaves, or serve with a side of mock potatoes, or salad.

Counts:

Cals--1558
carbs: 17g (25-8g fiber) 4%
protein: 115g 30%
fat: 110g 65%

This is the whole recipe. I usually get 4 big servings (4.25 ECC per serving)

BeccaResRN Tue, Apr-22-03 07:03

MMMM

Sounds good I am definetely fixing this!!!!!!!!!!

TONIGHT~~~~~~~~~

wils Sun, Apr-27-03 16:24

Sounds yummy and easy, have been missing my cabbage rolls! Will give these a try. Thanks

nikkil Tue, Jun-24-03 01:49

modifying my recipe a bit...

I left out the water and added another 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Really good, thick and meaty.

Nicole

nicksmom Thu, Jun-26-03 14:02

Mmmmmmmmm, thanks! I also miss cabbage rolls. :)

Scorpiovs Sat, Jun-28-03 18:40

I made this tonight since I had left over cabbage, I made fried cabbage earlier in the week, this was great..both DH and I loved it. I put sour cream on top after it was cooked and it was so tastey, I know this will be a keeper and so easy. Thanks nikkil.

Sheryl

MsBrisby Wed, Jul-23-03 15:14

Nikkil-Don't know if you are still around here, but if you are, THANK YOU!
I don't think I have ever had cabbage rolls in my life, but my tastebuds are going through a metamorphosis! I have been trying a lot of new things and I must say...I am adding this to my "favorites" list.

Thanks again!!! :yay:

PS I added finely chopped cauliflower. I thought it was good, but then again, I never tried it without so I couldn't compare. :)

Cindyrella Tue, Aug-26-03 06:29

OMG this sounds sooooo Yummy, I can not wait to try it :)

Songwriter Sat, Jun-23-07 13:05

A friend makes cabbage rolls and he literally wraps a cabbage leaf around a hamburger meat concoction of some sort and puts a bunch in a giant pot and then steams them. They end up with each being about as big as half an ear of corn. I'd never seen them until he did it. They are good and you can easily reheat in microwave. I will look for a similar recipe or maybe he can show me.

I don't recall his having tomato sauce.

AmaniNura Sat, Nov-24-07 18:48

I make cabbage rolls without the rice, but mix sausage and hamburger with salt and pepper. I wrap the rolls in blanched pieces of cabbage and layer in a pan and cover with sauerkraut. and add canned tomatoes for flavor and water. you can freeze them and reheat any time.

DHARMA BUM Fri, Dec-21-07 19:11

yummy!!!! :yum:

tweety009 Sat, Jan-05-08 08:48

This is a traditional recipe from my country..or something similar to this.. we use rice, minced meat(preferably beef), different kind of chopped veggies, seasonings. Mix, then introduce everything into downcast cabbage leaves (boiled really hard till it`s malleable). Leave it in the oven.. it`s absolutely delicious.. i tried it without the rice and it`s also very good.. We use sour cream as a sauce for this dish..
This is how they look like..
http://www.ibsb.ro/images/united%20...ay/Site%206.jpg

Hismouse Sun, Mar-02-08 17:10

I have made cabbage rolls all my adult life. I make the ground beef mix and add slices of sausage, and 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup Maranara sauce, roll them up in blanched cabbage leaves, I pour the red sauce over each of the cabbage rolls, and cooked them over a bed of sour kraut that has been sprinkled with salt and pepper and small slices of butter. Cover the cabbage rolls with foil and bake for 1 hr on 350. they are so good..

You can leave out the rice, and they are just as good....

ardentluma Mon, Jun-30-08 14:54

omg I just happen to have all these ingredients on hand, so guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow!

samina9027 Mon, Jun-01-09 07:24

hi Nikkil,
would this dish be suitable for induction ?? I was thinking maybe not because of the tom sauce..