Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dairy product question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25518)

Susan19 Wed, Nov-14-01 10:55

Dairy product question

Now that I buy things like heavy cream, whole cottage cheese, and full-fat sour cream (which I like on EVERYTHING! in moderation, of course, of course), I would like to know how long these things will last before going bad, once they are opened. I know there are expiration dates, but the cream for example says it expires Dec 22 and I doubt that it can really last that long. Yes, I know to sniff for the rancid smell, but if anybody has rough lengths of time, I'd be appreciative.
Have a bang-up day!
Susan

lilwannabe Wed, Nov-14-01 11:08

I would just follow the expiration date...it is there for a reason. If you don't trust that...then trust your nose :D

Natrushka Wed, Nov-14-01 12:24

Expiration dates tend to be on the conservative side, they are usually a 'sell before date'. I have yet to have anything go bad and often use sour cream and whipping cream that is still good a week after its supposed expiration date.

Nat

doreen T Wed, Nov-14-01 13:06

Fresh dairy products: a general rule of thumb is, the higher the fat content, the longer the shelf life, both before and after opening. Aged cheeses are a bit different because of they have a lower water content.

So, cream will keep longer than whole milk, which keeps longer than skim milk. Full-fat sour cream will keep longer than the low-fat products, which have all kinds of modified starch and sugar added to make up for the missing fat.

In general, I find heavy cream, cream cheese and sour cream will keep for up to a week after opening. Cottage cheese isn't quite such a good keeper, maybe 4 or 5 days tops.

Doreen

Natrushka Wed, Nov-14-01 13:11

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
I find heavy cream, cream cheese and sour cream will keep for up to a week after opening. Cottage cheese isn't quite such a good keeper, maybe 4 or 5 days tops.

Wow, Doreen. My opened containers keep at least a month, I know this from pre LC days when these things actually lasted that long. Now I'm lucky if we don't run out before grocery day ;)

Nat

doreen T Wed, Nov-14-01 13:15

hmmm, good point .... possibly it's because I buy additive-free, cream and sour cream from the health food store or a European deli? I guess I didn't think about the shorter "keeping" aspect, I mostly was trying to avoid the dextrose and modified starch products they seem to love adding to dairy foods.

Doreen

Natrushka Wed, Nov-14-01 13:50

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
hmmm, good point .... possibly it's because I buy additive-free, cream and sour cream from the health food store or a European deli? I guess I didn't think about the shorter "keeping" aspect, I mostly was trying to avoid the dextrose and modified starch products they seem to love adding to dairy foods.

You have a point, Do. Since I started buying these (additive free) they don't last long so I can't say for sure, the ones that did make it a month were the additive rich ones ;)

Nat

Susan19 Wed, Nov-14-01 15:35

Thank you both for the guidance!
Susan

A thin me! Fri, Nov-16-01 09:25

This is going to sound strange, but it you can store the containers upside down in the fridge, that also helps
to keep it fresh. HONEST.

Susan19 Fri, Nov-16-01 10:35

My roommate already thinks my food choices are funny, and I can't wait to see what she says when my containers are all upside down! ;)
Thanks!
Susan

doreen T Fri, Nov-16-01 12:32

Quote:
Originally posted by A thin me!
This is going to sound strange, but it you can store the containers upside down in the fridge, that also helps
to keep it fresh. HONEST.
LOL! Did your mother grow up during the Depression by any chance?? My mom always did this too ... partly because storing upside-down "seals out" the air-space that would otherwise be at the top (she did this with all her home-canning too) ... and partly because, in a forgotten age ;) .. dairy products weren't mass homogenized. Fat and cream would separate out and rise to the top. Storing them upside down meant you still got a layer, but it wasn't congealed on top. Organic and natural products are non-homogenized (and taste better IMHO) and you get the layer of thick cream which you have to stir in ... It's either a pain or a delight, depending on your point of view :D

I think though, that once a container has been opened, it's best to store it upright ... since most bacterial growth will happen around the open edges and lid. You don't really want the food sitting in contact with those edges.

Doreen