Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   lose then gain... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181302)

lins76 Wed, Apr-28-04 15:39

lose then gain...

hello, i was wondering why a larger loss is sometimes followed by a small gain. in other words losing 4 pounds then gaining back 1 or 2 in a few days. anyone know why this may happen. thanks!

LilaCotton Wed, Apr-28-04 15:51

It is most likely water weight. Women, especially, have problems with this because of our hormones and such. Typical water-weight gain times are TOM and ovulation, and of course consuming too much salt can have a temporary affect. :)

tofi Wed, Apr-28-04 15:54

Could be because fat cells do not like to lose their contents. They then grab a bunch of water to try to plump themselves up again. So you seem to gain.

Remember that sudden gains are almost always just water. Also you are very near a very low number - possibly less than ideal for your 5'5" height - so you aren't going to lose much more without starvation.

A rule of thumb is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height, then add 5 pounds per inch of height. For you, that's 125. Unless you are Asian/Oriental in heritage or incredibly tiny-boned, losing more may not be a good idea.

Don't get stuck with the number on the scale. It will take about 6 months after you get near your 'goal' for your body to reorganize itself. Be patient.

Gaining muscle while losing fat may make you heavier but smaller than you expect. So keep eating and don't worry about 2-5 pounds range of weights.

LucyLucy Wed, Apr-28-04 15:55

Completely normal, I am up and down daily. Just average it out over the week, it will continue downward on this WOE, I think sometimes out bodies fight tooth & nail to hold onto itself!

:)

Britgrl Wed, Apr-28-04 17:23

I do the same thing. I try to not concentrate so much on the scale, but on how my body looks and how clothes fit. Thats really all that counts right!? Since I'm very near my goal weight, I've been concentrating more on cardio and weight lifting. Because I'd much rather be 125 and look all toned and sleek than 115 and be smaller but still flabby. =) Who cares about the number! =)

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-28-04 17:34

My weight loss chart looks more like a seismic reading on a bad day on the San Andres fault.

lins76 Thu, Apr-29-04 03:29

thanks girls, that helps!

AFwife Thu, Apr-29-04 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
My weight loss chart looks more like a seismic reading on a bad day on the San Andres fault.

:lol:

I'm going through the same thing. I hti Onederland then back up to 200 then back down again to Onederland. It's frustrating but at least I know now it's just water weight.

:)

BlitzedAng Thu, Apr-29-04 06:10

You just described me in a nut shell. That's why I don't like getting excited right away if I see a loss. 90% of the time it comes right back.