Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Gday all (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=151373)

Rocket_Ron Fri, Nov-28-03 17:46

Gday all

Hello to everyone,

Lucky to stumble across this forum.
I read Atkins book about 5 months ago now and started with my low carb eating about 4 months ago. The results were great. You would'nt believe the amount of people who ask you what diet your on.

I stuck to the diet fairly rigidly for 3 months but have been straying a bit lately, ok alot really. Fortunately I havent put any weight back on, probably due to the fact I am exercising alot more now.

The best thing so far? being able to buy clothes once again without going into the mr big section :)

For anyone in the SE region of melbourne you can buy the low carb chocolate form Darryl lea in fountain gate, coles also have the low carb ice cream.

Anyway enough for now I'm going back on the induction monday to try and kick start the weight loss again.

Good luck to all of you, I hope you all achieve your goals!

Luscious Sat, Nov-29-03 00:19

Welcome

I expect participating in the forum will help us all stay motivated. You have done so well :)

I am quite new at this, but I think the internet has made it much much easier for all of us. There are so many amazing recipes and ways we can keep what we eat interesting.

Tonight I'm having one of my favourite foods, which I had thought I had to give up until I read about it on this forum :). Chicken Laksa (sans noodles of course). The Asia at home Laksa paste has under 2.5 grams per serve, with some bean sprouts, cococnut cream (the one I found has less than 2 grams in a 400ml tin).

I have also bought some of the Shirataki Noodles (from asian grocery) that have virtually no carbs at all. Going to stir fry them with pork mince, cabbage, spring onion, garlic, chilli, corriander and mint and soy sauce, wrap them in lettuce like san choy bow. Yum. Again, I learned about the noodles from this forum.

Its nice to share ideas, and learn from each other.

Good luck with restarting your induction.

Luscious :angel:

Rocket_Ron Sat, Nov-29-03 06:32

I will have to try Shirataki noodles . I basically have had stir fries for 3 months using veggies, you do get a bit fed up with them. I did find some rice that was relatively low in carbs that I use when making Chow Mein. I'll post name when I remember it.
Being on the road alot through my job I found I get caught out at lunch time, I have been having KFC, just the chicken (6 grams of carbs for 2 pieces I think), become a bit of a joke now how someone who always eats KFC can loose weight

sgab4415 Mon, Dec-01-03 00:18

hey ron,
nice to meet you! i totally agree with Luscious, there is so much great info on this site. take some time to have a good look around and asks as many questions as possible, it makes this WOE so much simpler when you can find almost all the answers you need in the one place!!
good luck and happy low-carbing!

Luscious, how good is that Asia ~ Home Laksa paste!! i've also tried their thai red and green curries, they are quite low in carbs too and great using chicken breast. also have you tried the cauliflower rice in the recipe section? it goes really well with the red or green curry!
anyway nice to meet you both,

susie

Luscious Mon, Dec-01-03 04:17

Hi susie, that caulflower rice sounds like a good thing, and I love curry, so will check out the curry mixes (or make my own). I could not find the recipe in the forum you mentioned, but found this on Tony Blakemore's site.. http://carb-lite.au.com/61VEGETABLES/allrecipes61/'rice'.html

Is this similar to the one you mention?

:) a happy Luscious

sgab4415 Tue, Dec-02-03 01:32

yeh, that like is almost exactly like how i make it. except i dont bother with the food processor. i just cut the cauliflower up into small pieces, but i'm not too picky about it, i cut mine really rough and all different sizes, it hasn't seemed to matter. just be careful when you boil cauliflower, make sure the water is well salted and don't over cook it. the time depends on how small the pieces are, but just play it by ear, once it's tender it's done. then just mash it up a bit. it's not eaxactly like rice, but it's a fair substitue with curry.

if you over cook it then it wont look or taste like rice, so just turn it into cauliflower mash by adding a few tablespoons of butter, cream, salt, pepper, chives, cheese, bacon or anything you like. it's really yummy!

hope you like it,
susie