Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Aching Joints (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98619)

jai Sun, Apr-13-03 17:57

Aching Joints

Hi,
I often wake up in the morning with aching/stiff joints and a slight numbness in my arms and legs. I'm not sure if it's related to the way I sleep or my matress or if it's the start of something more serious (like arthritis, rheumatism, weak bones, etc.).
The problem usually goes away after getting up and moving around but sometimes stays in certain joints for a while.
I had a bone density test a couple of years ago and the result was between 1 and 2 SD below the young normal mean (whatever that means).
I would like to try some targeted supplements (preferably Atkins for the convenience of ordering from one supplier) and would appreciate some advice as to what might help.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Simon.

MsJinx Mon, Apr-14-03 07:55

Are you active? If not, it could be as simple as that. That's how I feel when I haven't been getting enough exercise.

If you are active, glucosamine and chondroitan supplements can help. My mom also uses MSM and swears by it. You can find info about these online. Lots of studies have been done - safe stuff, very effective over time (NOT quick acting).

raharris Tue, Apr-15-03 14:12

Hi --

I have an inherited form of arthritis (psoriatic, related to the skin condition psoriasis) and have never found any of the supplements to be effective against my joint pain. COQ 10 and Nadh work somewhat for the fatigue issues of arthritis, but nothing, including the glucosamine/chondritin, has worked for the pain.

What =does= help with the pain is what the gal notes in the missive above this one: keep moving. This solution seems counterintuitive; our joints hurt, so why would we irritate them with more movement?! But think about it -- you are experiencing morning pain. That is, you hurt the most after the period in which you have been least active -- sleep. That same pain is not present at the end of the day, because you've been moving around.

For years I denied that activity would help me, but I've never felt better since I started working out. And it does not take much -- just a little walking, or riding a recumbent bike or, best, swimming.

Good luck and feel better!

Rosebud Tue, Apr-15-03 14:52

First let me reiterate the need to keep moving! When my "bits" hurt, the thing that "loosens me up" the best is very gentle walking.

Next, I'd suggest you try fish oil capsules. Make sure you get the enteric coated ones, to avoid the fishy burps which can be produced by the othersothers. And always take them with or after food.

Has this pain only started since you've been low carbing? If it has, you may be very sensitive to arachidonic acid. This is found in red meat and egg yolks and, if you are sensitive, suddenly eating lots of red meat and egg yolks can trigger joint pain.

The following is a quote from "Protein Power" by the Drs Eades.
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?
Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can’t do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can’t increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you’ll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It’s not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It’s the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear or get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).

Hope your joints feel better soon, Simon.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: