Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Flaxseed Oil Caps = Headache (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178843)

tachi77 Fri, Apr-16-04 00:52

Flaxseed Oil Caps = Headache

Hi, I went to my chemist today to get some Flaxseed Oil (Nature's Way) to help with bowel movements (not happening, am currently on Induction). Funny thing I took the first two capsules after lunchtime and I have had a constant headache ever since (luchtime being 2 hours a go). Anybody experience headaches when they first starting taking them? or any other side effects for that matter? I also purchased some GNC Psyllium capsules (500gm) I have taken one and nothing has happened.....should I take two? I thought it would be safer to wait until bedtime and take the two but then again I need to go!! How soon does it start working? Silly questions but an answer will be appreciated.

cs_carver Tue, Apr-20-04 12:49

10 a day, no headache

Can't help you on the flax--I don't notice any intestinal effect from the caps, take 10 a day, and don't get headaches.

I take a lot of fiber caps as needed; they tend to have more of an overnight effect than anything you're going to notice right away. If you need immediate, try one of the salts (but make sure you can afford the risk! No long drives...). When the system gets really bad, I've taken as many as two fibers every two hours with LOTS of water until things get back to normal. (I'll stop up when I change time zones, every time--the trip to New Zealand was as intestinal nightmare.)

whatsupdoc Thu, Apr-22-04 01:25

I take 2000 mg Puritans Pride flaxseed oil each day. NO headaches or any side effects.

LittleAnne Thu, Apr-22-04 01:44

Hi

Sorry about the constipation. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water too as this is essential to ease the process. Hopefully by now the psyllium has worked.

On the flaxseed headache. Whilst I take cod liver oil rather than flaxseed when I took evening primrose oil capsules I also developed a headache and it took me a while to realise that these had caused this. It may be that you are sensitive to this oil, so stop it for a week to ensure the headache has gone, then try again. If the headache returns I would discontinue the capsules as this is your bodies way of telling you it does not want this particular supplement. They are not appropriate for constipation. You have a lot of fat in your diet which helps with that.

Vanity3 Thu, Apr-29-04 20:19

Other than helping moving things along (bowels) what other uses does flaxseed oil caps have. I just bought some caps, 1000mgs. Please tell me they have other benefits

legwarmers Mon, May-10-04 09:08

i would advise switching to salmon oil. Flaxseed contains omega 6 & 9, which we already get enough of in our diet. it needs to convert to omega 3 in the body, and as i understand it, it does this better in some people than others.

on the other hand, salmon oil contains omega 3 and is more easily digested. lyle mcdonald recommends 6-10g of fish oil per day.

and whether you realise this or not, you can actually OD on flax.

cs_carver Mon, May-10-04 11:58

OTOH, some people can't take fish

I get cracks in my fingers in the winter if I don't have enough of the Omega X oils. Tried the fish oils because they were cheaper--BAD cracks. Gone when I went back to flaxseed oil.

(not sure if there's a connection, but I have a visceral disgust reaction to any fish product and I've had it as long as I remember. Suspect an allergy to something fishy.)