Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   one hour a day of cheating??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47859)

melissa Mon, Jun-17-02 16:27

one hour a day of cheating???

Hi guys...
I have been told by two people lately that on the Atkins diet, you can eat all th carbs you want everyday WITHIN 1 HOUR, and not gain and lose steadily....has anybody else heard of this? I laughed at them when they told me this, so I thought I'd pass it along and see if you guys have heard of this. Thanks!!

gc1 Mon, Jun-17-02 16:31

Probably the same group that told me if I don't eat a bite after 4pm I would lose weight too :)

Jeff

Bloom Mon, Jun-17-02 17:31

That was in the first 'Carb Addicts' book and has since changed to a balanced meal that does include 'forbidden' carbs, its not an Atkins WOE.

agonycat Mon, Jun-17-02 18:09

Re: one hour a day of cheating???

Quote:
Originally posted by melissa
Hi guys...
I have been told by two people lately that on the Atkins diet, you can eat all th carbs you want everyday WITHIN 1 HOUR, and not gain and lose steadily....has anybody else heard of this? I laughed at them when they told me this, so I thought I'd pass it along and see if you guys have heard of this. Thanks!!

Melissa the diet you refer to is known as CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet). It is NOT part of Atkin's and is structured totally different.

There is a link on the right hand side of your menu "Which low-carb plan is right for me" that does a plan comparson that you may find helpful.

Remember if something doesn't sound right always refer back to your book or ask questions ;) Or ask them "oh really? What page and chapter is that in the book....I want to read that."

:D

Thelma Tue, Jun-18-02 05:40

The chapter about this 1-hr binging IS in the old version of the Atkins Book.

Looking at Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution - I think I have the 1992 Edition but not sure if that year refers to the Edition of my book of what - but anyway, on page 287 Under the Chapter "Permanent Slimness in the real World" is a sub-chapter titled "The Mini-Binge" and it says: [quote]
There is another technique for breaking the diet deliberately, yet remaining in control. It it the 60-minute mini-binge popularized by Drs. Rachael and Richard Heller, and designed for carbohydrate addicts. The Hellers called this carbohydrate binge a reward meal and allowed it every single day. In their program, an austere low-carbohydrate diet could be interrupted by an hour of unrestricted eating, as long as the food was nourishing and well-balanced. The operative principle behind that technique is that insulin is released in two phases when carbohydrates are consumed, and the second and greater amount begins about 75 mintues after your first contact with carbohydrate. You must be sated before that and must have stopped eating within an hour.
If the Hellers' system can be made to work for you, its advantages would be obvious. The disadvantages are: no emptying of glycogen reserves, therefore no fat mobilization, therefore no ketosis/lipolysis, therefore no metabolic advantage. Those whose overweight is metabolic, in contrast to addiciton-based, would not do well. I would suggest, then, that you not do any Hellering until you are close to your goal weight and then to do it little by litte, so that you will have familiarized yourself with the effect it has upon your subsequent diet control, your appetite level and your weight. But you should be aware of the principle because, in case carbohydrate happens to jump into your mouth uninvited, you can do considerable damage control by finishing before an hour is up. And whatever you do, don't do it in a dining establishment with slow service. [End of Quote]
(Any typos are NOT quotes, of course....)

I'm glad I re-read this myself, because I was arguing that this IS in Atkins - well it's not, but he mentions it, at least in the older edition of his book - but with caution - as an emergency procedure, so to speek - but not as permission to see how fast one can eat 1 gallon of ice-creme......

agonycat Tue, Jun-18-02 05:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Thelma
There is another technique for breaking the diet deliberately, yet remaining in control. It it the 60-minute mini-binge popularized by Drs. Rachael and Richard Heller , and designed for carbohydrate addicts. The Hellers called this carbohydrate binge a reward meal and allowed it every single day. In their program , an austere low-carbohydrate diet could be interrupted by an hour of unrestricted eating, as long as the food was nourishing and well-balanced.

I think people take this out of context. He is referring to CAD and this is NOT part of the Atkin's diet itself. He is merely giving us more information about how other Doctor's diets work.

Thanks for posting that Thelma ;)

Thelma Tue, Jun-18-02 06:09

Exactly - like I said - I myself thought it was part of the Atkins plan since I had read it in his book - I had forgotten his reference to the Hellers.

From what I hear, this part is missing in the new edition (mine's on order).

melissa Tue, Jun-18-02 07:47

thanks!

Thanks for the replies, guys...I thought it sounded fishy, and didnt recall reading that in the new Atkins book....I wasn't planning on doing it,, but just wanted to see if anybody else heard of this, and there are! No thanks for me.....path for trouble, if ya ask me!

SlimShAdY Wed, Jun-19-02 00:41

Um ok. Thats gotta be the most retarted one I've heard yet :rolleyes: