Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins Shakes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82129)

marlab72 Thu, Jan-23-03 13:15

Atkins Shakes

I am on Induction and have been told to stay away from the Atkins Bars, what about the Atkins Shakes. Do they have the same effect as the bars?

pegva Thu, Jan-23-03 13:32

Actually,

He says in the book (in the Induction section),

"Although it's important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can't take time for a meal or need a quick snack."

He says just don't overdo it! And don't go over your carb limit.

yvonne326 Thu, Jan-23-03 13:59

Personally I believe that the Atkins Advantage Pre-Made Canned Shakes (especially chocolate) has helped me lose the last 7 lbs...I have one with breakfast with a little protein and it prevents me from snacking between meals (which was a problem - - even with legal foods). I am now at my lowest and I partially owe it to the shakes. The bars unfortunately have the opposite affect - the glycerine must do something to me since I get knocked out of ketosis and do not lose for a few days after I consume one. :wave:

Iowagirl Thu, Jan-23-03 14:03

Not a big fan of any type of Frankenfoods, but I do find the Atkins shakes have their place - to curb snacking as Yvonne says, also very convenient when one travels (hotel breakfasts=carb fest). The cafe au lait flavor helps fill the void left by all those mocha raspberry lattes I can't have. :D

marlab72 Thu, Jan-23-03 14:06

Thank You

Thank you guys, this is the greatest site I have ever been to. Everybody is so friendly and helpful!

jedswife Fri, Jan-24-03 09:01

can you use atkins shakes during induction??

can you use the atkins shakes during iduction?

Baconbabe Fri, Jan-24-03 16:57

just my $0.02 worth..the Ketoshakes are 10000x better then Akins shakes..not to mention way cheaper :p

marlab72 Mon, Jan-27-03 07:32

Ketoshakes

Where do you buy the Ketoshakes?

quietstorm Mon, Jan-27-03 09:40

I don't know about the shakes, but I tried an Atkins bar yesterday.... :eek:
It tastes like........
Let me just say I took one bite and disposed of it.
:thdown:

Iowagirl Mon, Jan-27-03 10:39

You mean..... :Puke: . Yes, the bars are awful, in my opinion.

Elihnig Mon, Jan-27-03 16:45

I believe you can get Keto shakes at Netrition.com I got a free one with an order I made. It wasn't bad for free! I don't plan on buying any shakes though of any kind.

Beth

frannie Mon, Jan-27-03 17:59

If you go to the website below, you can put in your zip code and find a store near you that may carry the Keto Shakes. I use one shake a day. I have tried the chocolate fudge and banana cream and they are fine. I put in some frozen berries and my psyllium husks. This makes them nice and thick.

http://www.ketofoods.com/products/shakes.html

jedswife Wed, Jan-29-03 15:53

yes the bars are really yuuucccckkk! I tried the atkins shakes and i think they can be made to taste better with the Atkins chocolate syrup and splenda.

really the syrup is good.

thanks for all of your replies.

lucky1 Thu, Jan-30-03 21:10

I just had my first (and probably last) Atkins shake today--Cafe au Lait. Pretty bad. First sign of trouble was the label that said to drink it "very cold," which is probably because number taste buds from a very cold drink are probably easier to fool than fully sensitive taste buds.

The shake smelled like fish---I kid you not--and it tasted awful. I even checked the expiration date on it and it had many months to go. I'm glad I tried it and I'm glad I don't have to drink those, either. Maybe others enjoy them or maybe the other flavors are better, but for me, Cafe au Lait shake is off the list!

ChromeDome Thu, Jan-30-03 21:22

Has anyone had any experience using the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes? I've had them in the past (before dedicated LC) and they tasted pretty good. (Strawberry was the best.) They are available in plenty of stores, like Wal-Mart. Just curious if anyone has actually used them on LC and had no ill effects.

Nutrition Info:

Supplement Facts
Serving size 1 container (11 oz)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 110
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2 g
Sodium 260 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Protein 15 g

Ingredients:
Filtered water, whey protein concentrate specifically filtered and ion-exchanged whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, high oleic sunflower oil, vitamin and mineral blend (magnesium citrate, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium asorbate, Vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, cholecalfiferol, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, zinc gluconate, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid biotin, chromium chloride, potassium iodide, phytonadione, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite and cyanocobatamin), natural and artificial flavors, fructoligosaccharide, soy extract cellulose, gel cellulose gum, xanthan gum, sodium hexametaphosphate, maltodextrin, carageenan, dextrose, potato starch, and sucralose. Note: Fructooligosaccharide is included in the total calorie count but is not included as carbohydrate.

Recommended use:
Serve cold and shake well before consuming. Use 2 to 3 servings daily. Refrigerate after opening.