Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Bread, What and when? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=183509)

Squintz Mon, May-10-04 06:51

Bread, What and when?

I think i read whole grain bread is okay to eat. Are there reasons why i should try and stay away from all breads or are some okay? Are people on induction allowed to sneak in a slice of bread now and then or is there a chance it will stall them? How much is to much? What are the name brands that you guys eat if you do eat bread?

pookalee Mon, May-10-04 07:10

I dont believe you are supposed to have any bread on induction. It is best to stick to a clean induction and really get your body adjusted to a LC way of eating. My advice, stick strictly to the induction list of foods to eat. It is worth it, you are worth it :) ! Best of luck to you!!!

tofi Mon, May-10-04 07:22

:nono: Certainly not on Induction. :nono:

And just who are you going to "sneak a piece of bread" past? You can't fool your liver into not noticing the carbs - even LC bread has carbs. The idea of Induction is to get the glycogen out of your muscles and liver so your body has to go looking for stored fat to use for fuel. It's a chemical thing, not a calorie thing.

Your profile says you haven't read any LC books yet. Excuse a possibly rude question but how are you going to follow the Atkins road if you haven't yet looked at the map? If you can't afford the book, at least go to www.atkins.com and click on "How to do Atkins". It will keep you from wondering about all sorts of things and help you to lose weight. But you do have to do some work of your own. One can waste a lot of time just looking around a message board instead of sitting down to read the book. :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2: :read2:
:read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

Squintz Mon, May-10-04 07:41

Thanx for the replys. I actually ordered the atkins book 2 weeks ago and its still not here.... it should be here this week. If not im going to start complaining. I do realize that i need to read the book but i must say, From the www.atkins.com site and from this site i have learned enought to lose 10lbs in just over 2 weeks. You guys have inspired me to start running, start working out, and start paying attention to what i eat. Atkins has provided me with the nice list of foods i can eat which i have been sticking to.

I probably would have lost more by now but people keep slipping me food that they say is low carbs of no carbs and i eat it then ask... "Man that was kinda sweet, are you sure that doesnt have sugar?" Sure enough i read the lable and i always find hidden sugars and sugar alcohols.

I wish the people of this forum would colaborate and write a book based on their own experiences. The people like Atkins and South Beach who are just trying to make a buck don't care about us who live by their words. I have not even read the book yet and i am always seeing post about how the new atkins owners have added content to their site just so they can sell more products.

But i will read it then ask a million and one more questions just to make sure that everything i read is accurate.

Thanx for answering my question. I don't crave bread but have seen people talk about eating it. Just figured i'd ask.

iwill Mon, May-10-04 10:15

When your books arrive, be sure to read cover to cover. Lot's of information, in fact, I still go back to my book, and I have read it 3 times.

As far as bread goes, I don't any of it, low carb or not, to include tortillas. It's your decision, if it works for you and you can still lose, good for you.

Oh, congrats on your 10lb. loss!! Great job!!