Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Damn digital scale...... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177337)

dalton Wed, Apr-07-04 09:24

Damn digital scale......

Any suggestions on how to get an accurate reading on a digital scale? When I weigh myself, I usually do it 3-5 times because my weight can fluctuate simply based on how I stand on the scale.....

Does this happen to anyone else?

I probably should go buy a traditional scale.....

Thanks!

Ohio Kim Wed, Apr-07-04 09:25

It happens on a regular scale as well. If I lean forward I can weigh as much as 2 lbs. less.

AFwife Wed, Apr-07-04 09:27

Mine does the same. What I do is try to stand on it carefully then stand nice and tall as if your a soldier at attention. Wait a few seconds then look down.

Try not to shift your body forward or back cause it does change the numbers that show.

I do it about 4 times, whatever # I get twice is the one I keep.

Good luck,

leslew5 Wed, Apr-07-04 09:42

Whatever number you get twice that is it!

DianaO Wed, Apr-07-04 09:48

Same here, I was told step on a scale in the same spots as you normally do. weight at the same time of day.
Weigh a few times, as weight can fluctuate I do this about 3-4 times.

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-07-04 10:20

Mine doesn't fluctuate at all. I have a 15 year old Thinner scale I bought at Brookstone long ago.

myagenda Wed, Apr-07-04 10:42

Mine doesn't fluctuate either and believe me I tried. I have a Taylor glass scale.

Petrina31 Wed, Apr-07-04 10:50

Hmmm, mine doesn't fluctuate at all either- unless I'm stepping on it at a different time of day- my weight varies by about 3-5 pounds depending on time of day. I go by my results first thing in the morning. I can step on it from any angle and still get the same result if I hop on it a second or moments later. The only time it's off is if it's been moved at all- then I have to do one test reading (which is enough off to warn me that it's been moved) and then stop on it again.

I bought mine at Target. Can't remember the brand name...

tcastro Wed, Apr-07-04 10:52

No fluctuation on my Tanita scale. I really like that actually, because the last digital I had did have problems with fluctuation.

PecanPie Wed, Apr-07-04 16:04

I bought a new scale for that very reason - If I weighed first my husband's weight would go up, if he weighed first mine would go down and never weigh the same. I bought a $50 WW scale that weighs in .1 increments and never fluctuates - plus it has the added value (if you want to use it) of keeping track of two people's weights. I find that however silly it is, if I know the number is accurate I do not get crazy about the invariable fluctuations that occur because of water weight, TOM etc.

If you cann't trust the scale, dump it!

PecanPie

imlosingit Wed, Apr-07-04 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife
Mine does the same. What I do is try to stand on it carefully then stand nice and tall as if your a soldier at attention. Wait a few seconds then look down.

Try not to shift your body forward or back cause it does change the numbers that show.

I do it about 4 times, whatever # I get twice is the one I keep.

Good luck,

That's also the best and most accurate way I have found when using a digital scale.

AFwife Thu, Apr-08-04 01:11

That scale of mine didn't get me this time. I stepped on it slowly and stood nice and tall, looked down and BAM, it said 218. That's a 3 pound WHOOSH. I freaked and wanted to double check and stepped on it 3 more times. I got the same reading all 4 times. WHEW! I guess it was being nice to me today by not giving me a hard time.

MamaSara6 Thu, Apr-08-04 05:37

I hate the scale! I've been trying to put it away, but since it was out this morning and I've been behaving myself, I got on it. BIG MISTAKE! It was up a pound and a half, despite the fact that I feel thinner today! :cry:

AFwife Thu, Apr-08-04 05:41

Don't worry about a pound and a half mamasara, could just be water retention.

Hang in there. Your doing great.

ValerieL Thu, Apr-08-04 07:28

My scale seems to have a short term memory, I can step on it 5 times in a row and it will give me the same weight, but if I step on it just 10 minutes later, it will give me a different weight.

I'm guessing it's just as unreliable as most other digital scales, but it has that short term memory to trick you into thinking it isn't fluctuating.

Valerie