Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   low carb tortilla--but was it worth it? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175399)

armywife3 Sat, Mar-27-04 22:14

low carb tortilla--but was it worth it?

I just had my first low carb tortilla which means my first burrito in 8 months. It has 5 net carbs but 12 total carbs. I am one of those people that really has to keep my eye on total carbs because for some odd reason my body doesn't differentiate b/t net and total. So counting carbs really is a big deal to me. I have to say the tortilla was decent but was it worth it? I am sitting here thinking that although it was good to have a burrito again I'm just not sure it was worth spending 12 carbs on it. I think it will be the kind of thing I only do when I really am dying for a burrito. Other than that I think I'd rather just eat the insides and skip the tortilla. I really don't think it was worth the carbs.

Idabelle Sat, Mar-27-04 23:07

At first I thought the burrito wraps were great. I find that anything that is "starch like" isn't interesting to me now. Is it psychological? It seems to heavy.

Mossling Sun, Mar-28-04 01:20

Sitting in my freezer right now are lc tortillas AND two types of lc bread. They've been there for about 4 months now...and I've had maybe 2 slices of bread and 2 tortillas. Guess I really don't care if I eat them. They are good, but--I don't even think about them, usually.

Jude

NYorker Sun, Mar-28-04 08:04

Hah! I'm the same way. The LC bread and pastas just don't seem good enough to be "worth it."

LC desserts? That's another story.

Nancy LC Sun, Mar-28-04 09:19

I actually think I prefer wrapping my mexican food in lettuce now. I usually make pork/chicken asada and wrap the guacamole, salsa, meat and cheese in a huge lettuce leaf and eat it that way.

I had it that way the first time at Rubio's and after that I didn't even want to mess with tortillas any longer.

sinistress Sun, Mar-28-04 09:28

I had an lc tortilla last night when i went to subway and tho it was nice to have one again they seemed heavy and felt like they expaned in my stomach...took about 3 hrs for the feeling to go away.

bonesigh Sun, Mar-28-04 10:20

I like LC tortillas. I've only tried one brand so far, and they are tasty. They have not caused any kind of problem for me. I think I've only used them once for burritos. But they're really too small to get all of the filling inside. lol

I use the LC tortillas to make wraps to bring to work for lunch. Tasty, and satisfying.

armywife3 Sun, Mar-28-04 17:57

I agree about the low carb bread. I was eating a slice every day at first. I needed some toast. I missed it. Then after a week or so I was done with it. At 9 carbs for just ONE piece it just isn't worth it. I use it for emergency only when I'm craving a sandwich but for that many carbs forget it. I think I'll stick with the biscuits. 1 carb each!!! That is the way to go if you want bread.

bevbme Sun, Mar-28-04 18:14

The dif between net and total carbs on a tortilla has got to be fiber not sugar alcohols. I 'm willing to count them as net carbs.
Safeway has a lunch burrito at deli with 9-12 carbs for total better then Subways deli meats

SusanKH Mon, Mar-29-04 08:13

Armywife,
Your stats are just amazing! Congratulations! I find that when I eat any tortillas, low carb bread, etc, that I feel guilty. And the guilt overwhelms my good intentions and before you know it, I'm cruisin' down the high carb highway. I had a Sunday school teacher when I was young who scared me to death. She said, "The road to he77 is paved with good intentions". I thought that meant that if I had good intentions I didn't follow through with that I was going straight down to he77.
Susan

BlitzedAng Mon, Mar-29-04 08:29

Nancy lc, that's me too. I made the taco seasoned beef myself, melted shredded cheddar on it, mixed in some sour cream and put on a leafy green salad on my plate.. My children loved it so much when they tasted MY food,lol, that they asked for that instead of a shell! Now who woulda thunk it? lol
ANgel