Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Too many calories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=91758)

dallasalis Tue, Mar-11-03 09:19

Too many calories

I recently did Fitday and realized I was eating too many calories (2000). I need to be eating around 1400. Can someone help me with some sample daily menus that would be the right % of fat, proteins, and carbs? I seem to be stalled. Please include 2 glasses of wine in the menu because I'm a stay at home mom with twin 13 month olds and a 5 year old. :daze: Thanks. Christa

LOL Mom Tue, Mar-11-03 09:40

I seem to have the same problem! I always keep the carb count between 18 and 30 grams/day (mostly around 20), but those darn calories slip in around 1800-2000!

I'm not TOO worried about it because I SLOWLY see the scale going down, but I know I need to cut those calories. I've been paying special attention to it the last few days and I find that I have to eliminate my daily dosage of 2T peanut butter! Oh, but that's such a hard thing to do!!!!!

Good luck. I'm going to watch this post for suggestions!!

Debbie

MAC Artist Tue, Mar-11-03 09:54

Dallas

HOw many inches and pounds have u lost and in what time frame? Also are u active?? Because even if your consuming 2000 calories if you workout often it won't hinder your weightloss efforts as much. If you excercise you can more cals. Just a suggestion.

I usually stay around 1500 mark here is a sample of my day:

breakie
1 egg fried with olive oil , cucumber slices with creme cheese

lunch
canned tuna wit lots of mayo (2 tbls)
salad with blue cheese dressing

snack
avocado slice, olive oil, spices on a chicken breast

Dinner
grilled chicken leg
stir fried asparagus in sesame oil
sugar free aspartame free gelatin with whip creme

hope this helps

I'm still in induction and will probably stay in induction for a total of 3 weeks, then I start upping my carbs

Piera

dallasalis Tue, Mar-11-03 10:16

Thanks Piera! I workout 6 days a week (5 hours cardio & 2 1/2 hours weights). Your sample menu sounds very healthy. Thanks for sharing. I guess I'm going to have to give up those unlimited pork rinds. Christa

Skamito Tue, Mar-11-03 10:17

Hi Christa... I noticed we're about the same weight with about the same goal, so I thought I'd let you peek into my Fitday.

I generally keep it at 1600 calories and have been Fitday-ing religiously so maybe a look at it will help. I am always in the range of 25-40 effective carbs a day, about 1600 cal, about 100g each of protein and fat.

Hard to help with menus when we all have such different tastes, but this is a peek. :)

Skamito's Fitday Journal

Hope it helps, if only slightly.

:)

sheaman Tue, Mar-11-03 10:27

Angela,

(and I apologise for butting in on your conversation) Does fitday subtract fiber?

Your menu's look so good, but the carb count seems way high?

Just curious!

Joy

vbrowne Tue, Mar-11-03 10:31

I stay around 1500 calories and 20-25 carbs per day - I exercise 3 times a week minimum (as soon as spring decides to come, I'll add jogging to my regimine). Here's a sample of my menu.

breakfast:
cheese (not big on breakfast - I only eat it to get down my vitamins)

snack
left over sliced beef or chicken
avocodo half

lunch
salad with ranch or blue cheese dressing
can of tuna

snack
nuts (can't have on induction though)

dinner
some kind of meat with brocolli or asparagas drissled in butter

Remember to drink tons of water.

Vikki

dallasalis Tue, Mar-11-03 10:35

Thanks Angela for the look into your journal. What a wealth of information for 1500 more or less caloric intake. It looks like you eat more chicken than beef. I'm getting up to go thaw some for tonight! Thanks again. Christa :wave:

Skamito Tue, Mar-11-03 10:51

Gosh.... no Fitday doesn't subtract fiber! With things like Flax-o-meal and LC tortillas, it probably does look quite high. I also eat a lot of yogurt and have fitday subtract the sugars that the probiotic bacteria eat from that.

I promise you, my menus never go above 40ECC. Check my journal... I swear!

I also should mention that I posted my menus MERELY for guidance. I am not on induction by any stretch of the imagination. I'm on OWL following it closer to Pre-Maintenance with additions of things like half an apple a few times a week and a lot of high fiber foods such as Flax-o-meal and tortillas, etc. Definitely not for everyone. I also eat six meals a day, so my food is divided up likewise.

Okay, just wanted to stress that point.

:)

mrschmelz Tue, Mar-11-03 10:55

Quote:
Thanks Piera! I workout 6 days a week (5 hours cardio & 2 1/2 hours weights). Your sample menu sounds very healthy. Thanks for sharing. I guess I'm going to have to give up those unlimited pork rinds. Christa

With as much as you exercise IMO I wouldn't change a thing about your menu. The more you exercise, the more fuel you need.

Teuthis Tue, Mar-11-03 15:56

Calories

Christa, the answer is to just eat less. As you progress in Atkins, focus on deliberately eating a little less as you go. Do it comfortably and without making yourself too hungry, and it works. I believe you are indeed exceeding the Atkins caloric advantage at 2,000 calories. But remember, some day you will have to maintain your goal weight and, despite of the Atkins advantage, you will have to eat fewer calories than your body burns. Learn to do it now, as you go. You need to be comfortable with less food when you reach a carb level where your appetite returns. That can be critical to your success.

I don't worry at all about the minutae of how much fat and how much protein. I do as Atkins says; partake "liberally" [moderately!!] of proteins and fats. But I eat small amounts, while strictly controling my carbs. If you do this you can enjoy your food. If you are eating 6 ounce portions of proteins, reduce that down to 4 ounces, or 3 ounces. I now eat less than 50% of the volume I did before I started Atkins, and I am most comfortable with it

Good Luck!

Lisa N Tue, Mar-11-03 16:13

Christa...

You've been low carbing for 3 weeks and are already 1/3 of the way to your goal. If you are currently losing at the level that you are at, why change it? If you're currently losing, lowering your calories farther may backfire and cause you to stall instead of speeding things up.
I agree with Mrschmelz...with as much exercise as you do (plus more than you think caring for 3 small children!), your body will need more calories than a person who is sedentary.

Quote:
But remember, some day you will have to maintain your goal weight and, despite of the Atkins advantage, you will have to eat fewer calories than your body burns.

Teuthis...I have to disagree with this statement. Maintainance takes more calories than weight loss and as you approach maintainance, you should be eating more, not less. To maintain your weight, caloric intake should equal caloric expenditure, not be less than it, and with keeping your insulin production down along with the carbs most will find that they can maintain at a higher level of calories than they did before as long as they haven't messed up their metabolism through low calorie dieting.

dallasalis Wed, Mar-12-03 09:28

Thanks for ALL the words of wisdom. I'm going to make some mind set changes and lifestyle changes. First, I'm not going to think of Atkins as unlimited amounts of food. I'm not going to stress about %s and just try to eat a little less. Second, I'm going to change my breakfast time from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. I'm going to workout on an empty stomach (my workout time is 5:40 - 7:00 in the morning). I hope these changes will bring on ketosis. Thanks again. Christa