Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   fried breaded chicken - something i've noticed (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=156015)

flyrite Tue, Dec-30-03 17:42

fried breaded chicken - something i've noticed

maybe it's just wishful thinking but whenever i break down and have breaded, fried chicken or checkin strips from say, Wendy's, i don't swing out of ketosis.

Now is that weird? Is it something to do with the breading because it is fried? Does that somehow change how my body is processing it?

it's strange, and don't get me wrong, i think it's a wonderful thing that i can process it and not have a reaction to the listed carbs, it's just that i would like to understand it a bit better.

thanks

Angel66668 Wed, Dec-31-03 12:26

Me too. I have breaded chicken strips every once in a while and maintain my weight.

flyrite Wed, Dec-31-03 13:11

so it's not just me!

so it's not just me! excellent now i don't feel like a freak.

the whole mechanics of it still interests me though because i have sat down and ate about 6 large breaded chicken strips, close to 3/4 of a pound before and have actually lost weight on that day. now that is real breading not lo carb. i mean the totoal carbs could be about 40 or more grams.

does anyone have any ideas about how my body could digest that in lo carb stride?

black57 Wed, Dec-31-03 13:14

Your body is also taking in protein and fat which helps to keep the body in ketosis. JMO

LilaCotton Thu, Jan-01-04 01:44

I would find out for sure exactly how many carbs they have. My guess is not low. However, if you're anything like my hubby, you can eat something like that occasionally without a problem. Okay, he's a bad, bad boy, but I can't dictate to him what to eat and what not to eat. He occasionally has a taco from Jack in the Box (although I can't understand why--if I want a taco in town it's going to be Taco Bell!), and also has fried zucchini at Carl's Jr. We generally split the order and I eat mine without the breading and he leaves his breading on. Anyhow, he doesn't do this real often, and just keeps on losing. Men! ;)

Lori H Thu, Jan-01-04 10:02

I think most anyone can go off plan occassionaly and be fine. I bet if you did it daily it would have an effect on you though. I haven't had fried chicken in over 6 months but I feel like I could as long as I didn't overdo.

rrmalns Thu, Jan-01-04 10:12

Occassionally is the key. I have accidentally not requested naked wings when ordering hot wings and not had much of an effect on my weight loss. Probably because they werent heavily battered. So maybe they were lightly battered? I do think eventually weight gain would kick in just stay aware.
Renee

potatofree Thu, Jan-01-04 15:03

Yes, your body can tolerate the carbs, but it has little to do with the breading components, IMHO.

In the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, you eat VERY low carb during the day,(to "teach" your body to expect fewer carbs) and at your reward meal, you can eat carbs, balanced with low-gi veggies and protien. The other foods help regulate the body's reation to the carbs, and the one-hour time limit on the meal makes sure you're done before the "second wave" of insulin hits. I've lost on MUCH higher levels of carbs than on Atkins. I think this would be similar to your getting away with a breaded item once in awhile, the protien and fat might slow the "spike" from the carbs a bit.

flyrite Thu, Jan-01-04 19:21

thanks

thanks for all the replies, sounds good, sounds about right.
i especially like the idea of rewards, heh heh. :)

yvonne326 Fri, Jan-02-04 07:53

I can eat "breaded" chicken cutlet, for instance, and not get knocked out of ketosis as well. I think its the quantity of how much of the breading you eat...for instance, if you stick to a normal 4 oz portion than you should be ok despite the carbs because you most likely will be below the carb amount that would, in fact, knock you out. For me it has to be quite high to be knocked out and depending what type of carb...breading, even a taste of pasta or rice won't knock me out but anything with sugar in it (i.e. sip of orange juice) will knock me out.

ItsTheWooo Fri, Jan-02-04 14:23

they are high and fat and don't have many carbs, so it is possible to eat them in moderation and remain in ketosis

remember though that ketosis is just a very basic indicator that your primary fuel being burned is fat; it doesn't mean you are losing weight, nor does it mean you are healthy. so, don't base your food choices strictly around whether or not they keep you in ketosis.

sydnarella Sat, Jan-03-04 10:28

I sell breaded chicken tenders and every couple of weeks or so I have to eat little to test flavor profiles or sample runs, and the breading does add significant carbs, but I think the fact that you are eating only a certain amount and not all the time makes it not equal that much in the long run unless you are doing it frequently. Plus, probably the time of day helps, the earlier the better. I try not to eat breaded foods though if I can help it.