Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Easy Chicken Enchiladas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=183518)

GeoUSA Mon, May-10-04 08:16

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

Even before LC, this was one of our favorite recipes. We served it with mexican rice and refried beans. Those sides have been replaced with a salad topped with a small scoop of sour cream and a scoop of guacamole. I never thought this recipe was truly easy until I discovered canned chicken.

Easy Chicken Enchiladas
  • 1 T of butter or spray pan with cooking spray
  • 1/2 medium onion chopped into 1/4" pieces
  • 3 large chicken breasts cooked and diced or 2 large cans of cooked chicken
  • 2 t ground cumin
  • 4 oz cream cheese (1/2 block); I use light cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup picante sauce or salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar, pepper jack, or mexican blend cheese
  • 4 large low carb wraps or 6 medium ones

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray rectangular caserole dish with cooking spray. In a pan on the stovetop, melt butter and saute onions until starting to turn clear about 5 minutes. Add cooked chicken, cumin, cream cheese, 1/2 cup of picante, and 1 cup of cheese to the pan. Mix all ingredients and melt cheese, stirring frequently. Once the cheese has melted, spoon into the center of low carb wraps, fold in sides, and roll up. Place in the caserole dish. Top with remaining picante and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

Depending on brand and size of wrap used, I estimate each enchilada to be 4 - 8 net carbs each. This dish can be prepared in only 35 minutes.

IwillLose Mon, May-10-04 15:49

Sounds great, I used to LOVE enchiladas! I'll have to try this soon.

shama Wed, May-12-04 15:42

I love chicken enchiladas, and I also love that it takes little time to prepare!!! Will try this soon!!

PaminNY Sun, Jun-13-04 05:56

Made this the other day and is delicious! Thank you for posting this recipe.

Pam

orchidday Sun, Jun-13-04 19:24

This sounds wonderful and I am going to try them next week!

Orchid

windy Thu, Aug-05-04 13:33

Sounds wonderful I am going to try this soon. My hubby loves Mexicn food. Thanks for sharing.

Linda

PecanPie Thu, Aug-05-04 21:45

We've made this twice since I found the recipe and both times it was terrific. Tonight we added a few olives to the mix.. A truly wonderful and easy, easy, easy recipe! We usually use the breast meat from a roasted chicken for recipes that call for cooked chicken and it was perfect in this recipe.

GeoUSA Fri, Aug-06-04 14:34

Yum! Black olives are a great idea. Fresh cilantro is a good addition too when it is available. When in a real hurry or when making it for only one or two people, I use just one can of cooked chicken and bake the enchiladas in my toaster oven.

LOWCARBR Thu, Dec-09-04 14:31

thanks for sharing that recipe. just printed it off so i can add to my collection. also thanks for helping to add variety to my atkins plan!!

donyvon Mon, Jan-24-05 05:42

A Twist on this recipe!

GeoUSA made this dish for me before I was introduced to the forum. It's awesome, and I have in turn made it for one of my non-low-carb friends, and he also loved it. One word of caution: Choose your tortillas wisely! The first kind I got (Mission Brand Low Carb Tortillas) still had 8 net carbs each and tasted like cardboard. I decided to play with this recipe myself, and came up with a fabulous taco salad that's a great lunch option. Check out Donyvon's Taco Toss. :p

ginyer Wed, Apr-06-05 09:49

I love this recipe but was wondering if anyone has fit it into the stats on fitday or myplan? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...probably a math thing...but can't quite get fitday to take it with the label info I have put in. If anyone's done the math...I would be so appreciateve. I know it can vary with the tortilias, etc....just something close? Thanks a bunch!

GrooveJock Fri, May-13-05 09:08

I love these! Gonna make them for dinner tonight.

PilotGal Mon, May-16-05 16:01

This recipe was delicious! I added green chili's and black olives. Good idea.. And other poster is right about choosing the right tortilla. That makes such a difference!

Also... I cheated and used the rest of my deli roasted chicken. ;)

SusanKH Wed, May-18-05 06:51

Ummmm - these were so good! Thanks!