Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   legal triggers!!!!!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165269)

2piecegal Sat, Feb-07-04 13:38

legal triggers!!!!!!!

:exclm: Wow! I must NEVER EVER have peanut butter in my house again. Yesterday was the last straw. I buy the nuts only kind, it is technically "legal" in OWL, but it is way too much of a trigger food for me. I threw the rest of the jar in the garbage. I'm certainly learning limits!!! The funny thing is, the birthday cake at work yesterday didn't tempt me at all - I looked at it and saw illegal, non-nutritive poison! But, aaaaaaah, peanut butter - legal, good for ya, and DEADLY to me!

Kelly_L Sat, Feb-07-04 14:05

I know what you mean. Cake I can pass on but it's the savory things that I have trouble having in moderation.

jude Sat, Feb-07-04 14:19

Know exactly what you mean, 2piecegal. I bought Ross chocolate bars for the first time earlier this week. Thank goodness, only 3...ate 2 the first night and had to resist the 3rd. Don't know how anyone can have a box of those things around. The weird thing is I haven't missed chocolate for a year and a half...but one bite brought all the cravings back.

judy

LoCarbnit Sat, Feb-07-04 15:22

My downfall is pecans. After stuffing myself with them for three days, I threw them out. The temptation drove me nuts(pun intended) :)

doogieb Sat, Feb-07-04 15:25

I guess I should feel weird for having restraint!

I've got a cupboard full of various LC chocolates and bars, loads of nuts, cream etc, and I just decide what I'm going to have, measure/ weigh if appropriate, and eat it, and that's it. Sorry!

jude Sat, Feb-07-04 16:07

Maybe it's a guy thing! Naaaa....betcha you just haven't found your trigger, Doogie!

judy

doogieb Sat, Feb-07-04 17:21

hehehehe..... I hope you're not right! :p

pre3teach Sat, Feb-07-04 18:22

I have a few triggers I am just discovering...Low carb ice cream bars are bad for me. If I have them in the evening as a dessert I am ok, but if I have them during the day, the rest of the day I hear them calling my name from the freezer!

jesdorka Sat, Feb-07-04 18:59

for me it is SF peanut butter, cream cheese and baking nuts, ie almonds, pecans and walnuts. i started out just putting the PB or cream cheese on celery for a snack & eating a few nuts now and again and then i was mixing all 3 together forming them into balls and keeping in the fridge for the occassional snack but i found i was eating the whole batch in no time so now i just don't buy any of it anymore. i am not tempted by chips, cookies or cakes but don't let me near cream cheese and sf peanut butter!!!

delilah Sat, Feb-07-04 20:32

Same with me, pre3teach. I have to have them as a dessert, when I go to bed, only! Otherwise, I finish the box!

What hurt me for about a year on this program, and what still keep coming back to haunt me, are the foods that are listed as legal, yet they screw me up. Anything with maltitol, aspartame, etc, will cause me to stall, but my mind kept justifying my eating them as "they're legal. they must be ok. Your body will figure it out." It was kind of like beating my head against a brick wall for a year. :bash: I knew they were what was causing my stall, but I finally had to brainwash myself into believing that, for me, they're the same poison as carbs are.

LadyBelle Sat, Feb-07-04 20:56

For me it was whipped cream. I could be mostly full and have some whipped cream for a dessert. Suddenly I would be craving more liek a mad woman. I found if I wanted to lose I had to cut out most dairy, esp the cream.

Now I use half and half in my coffee. It doesn't seem to have such a strong effect.

The peanut butte rI would crave and snakc on even when full, but a couple of table spoons would satisfy me. With the cream it would take alot more then a couple tablespoons to satisfy.

caverjen Sat, Feb-07-04 21:16

Cashews are my worst downfall (especially the giant salted cashews from Costco). I also love p.b. but usually won't binge on it. I just have to make sure I measure it, or my portions get ridiculously large.

Jen

latingirl Sun, Feb-08-04 20:42

This is why I like coming to this board. Finally I've found some people that not only understand how I feel, but feel the same way!
I don't crave the no-no's, but I have trouble limiting the legal foods. Chocolate, nuts & nut butters are a serious problem for me. I could eat way way more than one serving.

Karen Sun, Feb-08-04 20:59

I think we all get lulled into that complacent spot where it's all OK because everything you're eating is low-carb. Right? IMHO, it's dead wrong.

If you know you are attracted and addicted to certain foods, flavours or textures, the only way to stay out of trouble is to steer clear of them. I've gone through them all: nuts, whipping cream, desserts..."legal" binges of all sorts. Just one piece may lead to another or ten. And, it sucks!

What was important for me was to examine not only what I ate, but why I was eating it as well. I mean I'm quite satisfied after having a nice dinner and my tummy feels full. So why do I think I need to eat the handful of macadamias or something sweet? Hmmm...

Karen

DaddioM Mon, Feb-09-04 01:58

Karen,

I've seen a few of your posts here and you are just so unbelieveably perceptive I really enjoy reading your posts (and checking out your recipes).

I know why I want something after I'm full...HABIT.

My one major league "legal" vice is smoked almonds. I try to limit them by putting a small amount in a bowl and eating them one at a time. If I DO go back to the can (heh..THAT never happens) at least it's extra work and a reminder that I shouldnt be doing it.

DaddioM