Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Heavy whipping cream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=48835)

Maya Wed, Jun-26-02 15:56

Heavy whipping cream

Im on induction and dying for something rich and sweet! I just dont get what kind of heavy cream im suppose to have. I really would appreciate brand names...that would be great...something i could just eat out of the container rather than whipping...

chbbybnny Wed, Jun-26-02 18:35

I whip my own, but I think redi whip has a sugar free version, but I am not sure of the carb count. Other than that, I think the only option is to whip your own.....

On that note, does anyone know how to keep it from falling and becoming liquid again? I would like to make a large batch, but when I tried it, half of it was liquid again the next day, any suggestions? :)

Karen Thu, Jun-27-02 00:30

How to stabilize whipped cream

Here you are!

For each cup of cream use 1/2 teaspoon plain gelatin and 1 tablespoon cold water.

Soften gelatin by sprinkling it over cold water and letting it sit for for 5 minutes.

Dissolve by placing it in a container over a small pot of simmering water. Or microwave in 5 second increments until melted.

Whip the cream until barely stiff.

Add melted gelatin all at once to cream during whipping.
Stop whipping when cream forms soft peaks.

Karen

chbbybnny Thu, Jun-27-02 13:19

Oh Karen, thank you!!! :)

Atriana Thu, Jun-27-02 13:38

I use an Isi to whip the cream. It is a Reddi-Whip shaped container - you add the cream some splenda if you want it or other flavorings, snap on the CO2 charger and thats it. It dispenses just like a can of Reddi-Whip and lasts for 10-14 days in the fridge.

chbbybnny Fri, Jun-28-02 15:09

what is Isi and where do you get it?

Karen Fri, Jun-28-02 17:48

The Gourmet Warehouse on Pandora Street, near Victoria. Their tel#: 253-3022.

Cheapest place in Vancouver to buy an ISI!

Karen

chbbybnny Fri, Jun-28-02 17:54

Karen, you are so helpful, not to mention knowledgable! :) Thank you so much, :wave:

Rob Sat, Jul-06-02 06:14

spoonable ceam

the last word in spoonable cream is

Creme fraiche !! :D

if you cant get it make it at home ,it is very easy to make and thick and yummy and can be sweetened with splenda for a treat with strawberries

1 container of whipping cream ( 36% butter fat)
2 tablespoons buttermilk

Add the buttermilk and stir it well . Leave it out of the refrigerator for 24-48 hours in a warm spot until it thickens and voila , the best you can get :D

Rob

owen93 Thu, Jan-29-04 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atriana
I use an Isi to whip the cream. It is a Reddi-Whip shaped container - you add the cream some splenda if you want it or other flavorings, snap on the CO2 charger and thats it. It dispenses just like a can of Reddi-Whip and lasts for 10-14 days in the fridge.

You really ought to use Nitrous Oxide chargers in the ISI dispenser.

If you don't have a Williams-Sonoma or other Gourmet supplier nearby find a shop that sells drug paraphenalia - they call them "Whippets"

arguerin Tue, Feb-03-04 07:25

Question about the Whipping Cream

I have a question on this Heavy Whipping Cream. The brands I have found list 1 carb, 1 sugar per TABLESPOON. This is way to high for induction. It also made me fall off my cheat free days before I realized the carb count was too high. (I had prepared one of the pudding deserts from this site). :bash: Am I using the wrong brand? (Purity and Walmart) Is this a normal carb count or am I looking at the wrong brand?

IdahoSpud Tue, Feb-03-04 08:46

Hi Arguerin,

There are actually two types of cream, "whipping cream" and "heavy cream" The whipping cream has the sugar and carbs. The heavy cream is what you want, but I've found that not all stores carry it. Try looking in a couple of different supermarkets. It sells in 1/2 pint containers.

Best of luck to you!

FrecklFluf Tue, Feb-03-04 13:02

If you want your cream to whip easily, do NOT buy pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized. Basically, if they don't say that on the label, you should be okay.

Kohkie Wed, Feb-04-04 11:36

I purchase my Heavy Whipping Cream ~ Trader Joe's and it's the Trader Joe's brand. It's the only brand I've found that lists only one ingredient... Cream.

Tami

WendyLynn Thu, Feb-05-04 12:43

Cream does have carbs though no matter what brand you buy. Its a matter of quantity. Just like Splenda that lists 0 carbs but a cup full has 24! The carb counts for heavy whipping cream is 0.4 grams per 1 tablespoon. That would work out to 6.4 grams per cup.