Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Day Two - I have a question????? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142390)

su-2003 Sat, Oct-11-03 21:26

Day Two - I have a question?????

Surprisingly I am not feeling to deprived of my favorite food yet...I think it is because I am enjoying food that I thought was forbidden in all my other attempts to lose weight!

I do have one question though.....I am a big gum chewer...I used to chew gum a lot in an attempt to stop myself from snacking between meals. Now, on the Atkins plan (especially the two week induction on which I am on day 2) ... I don't think I am supposed to chew gum because of the aspartame. Does anyone have any suggestions re: any gum or mints or something out there that I can try?

I have noticed that I am thirsty alot and guzzling back the water! Perhaps this is because I used to snack instead of reaching for that glass of water!! Is diet coke totally forbidden too?

Thanks!

Current Weight: 164
Goal Weight: 135

29 pounds to go!!!!

jmarionw Sat, Oct-11-03 21:45

Extra Sugar Free is made with polyols (sugar alcohols), so it should be okay. We've been using it for a while and it's just fine. If you want to drink soda, try Diet Rite or Diet Hansen's both use Splenda for sweetner.

CindySue48 Sat, Oct-11-03 21:48

Well Su-2003....Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a big gum chewer, never have been, but I was a mint eater.

Personally, I think on induction it's best to avoid all sweeteners. Once you're thru induction, fine...but stick it out for 2 weeks without sweeteners. Some people report cravings with AS...probably because your brain is getting the "sweet" msgs and causing your body to dump insulin into your blood.

I took induction to not only break my dependence on carbs....but also break my dependence on sweet.

Again welcome!

LadyBelle Sat, Oct-11-03 22:15

Water is the best thing you can do, and guzzling it can really help with the weight loss. Drinking alot can also help with the bad breath that often comes with ketosis, and help to clear up the skin. Adiquet water also keeps water retention down and helps to flush toxins from the body.

You might try Diet Rite, as suggested, it is sweetend with splenda. Crystal lite in the bottle is also splenda sweetened.

For the gum, there are some brands that use Sugar alcohols instead. Wait until after induction, but then you can try some. Be careful though because sugar alcahols can effect some people. Also be sure that the gum chewing doesn't cause you to skip meals, or cut back on your water consumption.

rice_boi Sat, Oct-11-03 22:17

try trident cherry flavored chewing gum (fights cavities too!) sweetened with splenda :)

su-2003 Sun, Oct-12-03 06:33

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the advise! After reading them....I will just stay clear of gum altogether and drink water instead! I will check-out to grocery store for diet rite too...I wonder if they have that here in Canada because I have never heard of it before. But, I will try to find some and give it a try!!

Day three today....no cheating yet....today is my first of two Thanksgiving dinner though! Your messages of encouragement will keep me strong and I WILL NOT eat any potatoes or stuffing (just saying those foods makes me salivate....I get that's the carb addict in me!)

Thanks again!

LadyBelle Sun, Oct-12-03 08:26

Check the Atkins web site. It has some Thanksgiving LC recipes you can try. WHile I know your on induction, it is usually better to relax and do maintananc elevel carbs on holidays and vacations. That way you don't feel deprived and have your holiday ruined, or worse, you give in to the high carb goodies that suround you :)

There is a recipe for hazlenut stuffing you can give a go, and a wonderful looking recipe for a pumpkin pie that uses pecans in the crust. If you aren't the cook this year, you could bring the pie with you as a treat for all, and maybe a little of the stuffing. You can also suggest a raw veggie plate as an appatizer, or have some yourself before you go to the relatives house. Watch the gravey if it is made with flour, but go ahead and eat turkey and all the salad you want :)