Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Soups Sauces & Appetizers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   home made mayo????? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=12926)

sherrybee Wed, Jul-18-01 17:14

home made mayo?????

any recipes out there for mayo???.....not buying any more from the store since they ALL contain sugar!!!!!!

debbiedobson Wed, Jul-18-01 18:05

check out karen's recipe for flank steak w/cumin aioli. aioli, is basically homemade mayo. just leave out the cumin and garlic! booooo!:(

cocoa8 Wed, Jul-18-01 19:28

1 large whole Egg, room temperature
Salt to taste
1/4 cup vegetable Oil (or cottonseed oil)
1/2 cup extra-virgin Olive Oil
Juice of one Lemon

Method:

Combine egg and salt with a large whisk, mixing until foamy and pale.
Whisking constantly, add the oils a few drops at a time, and then in a steady stream as the mixture emulsifies.
Add lemon juice; blend briefly.
Add additional salt and lemon juice to taste.
Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. You could use the food processer at the lowest speed.

doreen T Thu, Jul-19-01 23:38

hi sherrybee

Here's the recipe I use ..

Mayonnaise

1 very fresh, grade A large egg, no cracks or other contaminants
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, or 1 Tbsp each lemon juice and cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup olive oil, or blend of olive and canola
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- in blender or food processor - blend everything but the oil. Drizzle in the oil very slowly, until blended and thick. Makes 1-1/4 cup, or 20 Tbsp. 3.9 carbs total, 0.2 carbs per Tbsp.

Doreen

fiona Thu, Jul-19-01 23:38

mayo with garlic oooooooyummmmmy

garlic and cumin - gotta check that one out. Who is this Karen ? sounds like a lady after my own heart.

Life is goooooooood man !

Karen Fri, Jul-20-01 01:44

Quote:
garlic and cumin - gotta check that one out. Who is this Karen ? sounds like a lady after my own heart.

I'm the chick to the left of this post! LOL!

If you click the link at the bottom of the post, you'll find out what I do for a living and if you click Karen on the red bar at the top of the page, you'll find out what I do for fun!

Karen

debbiedobson Fri, Jul-20-01 08:31

fiona, karen is our resident chef! she's a real sweetie, always ready to help. her recipes and menus are to die for!:D

fiona Fri, Jul-20-01 15:45

I know

Hi Karen

{you'll find out what I do for a living and if you click Karen on the red bar at the top of the page, you'll find out what I do for fun! }

I know Karen! LOL ;) I was only teasing. I know who you are. I read all your posts with great interest. You are never off the board - lucky for me. I've been through several of your recipies and yes I did check out the aiola too. Definitely something I will try. I just bought a bottle of Hellman's mayo but I will try your recipe when I'm through with the bottle.

I am a great fan. I even sent your URL to my sister (in Vancouver) hoping to persuade her to try out some of your recipies. Like Debbie says you are a sweetie - I couldn't have put it better myself.

I am happy today 'cos I'm down another 2 kg. - must enter it in my profile.

Take care.

cathyc Sun, Aug-05-01 06:54

home made mayo

I have been making homemade mayo for about a year. I started mostly because it is so cheap and i hate getting caught without. I have found that a palm mixer works the best and if you use a countain the same diameter as the base of the mixer you will also get a better result.
break an egg into the container and add
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon of salt
and white pepper if you have it (i never do so i use black)
lastly add one cup of canolla oil
put the mixer into the contain and start it as the you see the clouds of mayo form go up until your at the top. Seal container and store in fridge like you would store bought.
It is to the point that my kid prefer the homemade and even their friend have made comments on how they prefer it.

debbiedobson Sun, Aug-05-01 15:37

by palm blender, do you mean a hand held blender? i have one of those!:D

cathyc Sun, Aug-05-01 16:32

that's right couldn't live without one:)