Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Oldie, Newbie, seeks "Buds" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177827)

susandendy Fri, Apr-09-04 21:21

Oldie, Newbie, seeks "Buds"

[SIZE=7][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black] :yay: :yay: :daze:

So happy to find this site!
I have a LOT of weight o lose, and I thaink that it would be very nice to connect with people here.
I'm 65, but a child at heart ( do a TVshow of political satire, artist, social worker)
I'm 12 days on the diet, and I have been feeling terrible ( missed 3 days at work!)
I think that cheese has been a problem with me, i love it, and I have been having too much!( also 1/2 avacado per day, stopped doing that )
Feeling a lot better today!
I have been having an extra helping , or two , of broccoli, salad or spinich ( I just was feeling way too badly!)
next week I get to add5 grams of carbs per day.
What do you suggest???
looking forward to hearing from you!
Susan

LauriTheRN Sat, Apr-10-04 00:32

Hi Susan,

I felt really horrible when I first stared cutting carbs. It will go away I promise. I don't have any advice for you regarding adding carbs to your diet. I'm still trying to keep my carbs to around 20 a day. I'm glad you came to this message board. Keep up the good work and you will start to feel wonderful when the first two weeks are up.

busybee Sat, Apr-10-04 06:03

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the forum ... you have come to the right place for support and some great recipes .... i really did not start feeling really good or have my full energy back for about six weeks .... I am sure it is an individual thing, but for me it took that long ... drop by journal for a visit anytime .... Ps. I am a retired social worker and artist also ... have a great low carb day! ... kathie

liz175 Sat, Apr-10-04 07:42

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the TDC! I'm glad you are feeling better. If you want to add carbs, I think you are on the right track with extra broccoli, salad, and spinach. I pretty much treat lowcarb vegetables as unlimited. I eat huge salads -- often twice a day -- as well as cooked vegetables. I seriously doubt that anyone can eat enough carbs or calories from lowcarb vegetables to create a problem (as long as you aren't drenching your salads with dressing).

As far as what else to add in, that's an individual preference. The things I personally have added that are not on the induction list are cottage cheese, berries, and some nuts. The cottage cheese and berries work fine for me (I usually have 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 cup blueberries or strawberries for breakfast on weekdays), but I need to watch the nuts so I don't eat too many. Adding these foods makes me feel healthier. Whenever I start eating foods with artificial sugars or chemicals I can't identify, I feel worse.

hummelda Sat, Apr-10-04 08:36

Hi Susan, Welcome to the TDC! You will find everyone here friendly and helpful!

I too have added LC vegetables in unlimited amounts and have not found any problems with continuing to lose. I think the added vegetables balances out the need/want/desire for more dense foods and I do watch the calories I eat, trying to stay between 1400 and 1600 a day.

You might try entering your food in www.fitday.com -- it gives you a very good idea of where your calories/carbs/fats and essential nutrients are coming from. It has helped me a lot.

Glad you are feeling better!

susandendy Sat, Apr-10-04 20:32

Thank-you for your helpful advice !!!!
I really appreciate it.
I'm feeling better today and my blood suger is really good too!
I now need to get motiated to do excercises and walking..
Any motivational ideas???
Thanks
Susandendy

hummelda Sat, Apr-10-04 20:43

Hi Susan,

Walking is the easiest exercise around and is addictive in a short period of time!! Some people swear by videos called "Walk away the pounds" which you can do indoors. They are available through ebay and Chapters has them too.

Good luck! Exercise makes a world of difference in so many ways!

tulips Mon, Apr-12-04 07:14

Welcome to the TDC!!!!! :-)