Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Corrolation between Low Carb diet and finger nail strength (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171169)

Rob 1000 Sat, Mar-06-04 15:01

Corrolation between Low Carb diet and finger nail strength

My wife has been on an Atkins type diet for about 5 -6 weeks and is doing very well. However can anyone tell me why her finger nails have become strong again after years if being extremely soft.

CindySue48 Sat, Mar-06-04 16:25

LOL another "side effect" maybe? Probably all the protein, she's eating. If she's taking calcium supplements, that might help too.

LadyBelle Sat, Mar-06-04 17:22

I agree it's probably the protien. Gelatin is suposed to be great for nails because of the protien.

It could also be the steady diet. When ever you have a dietary change you get one of those ridges on your nails. Sticking to LC would mean a stronger smoother nail.

TarHeel Sat, Mar-06-04 17:26

All of the above may be true, but often one's nails become harder with age. I have no idea how old your wife is.

Kay

lizwhip Sun, Mar-07-04 00:15

I have noticed a great improvement in my nails since LCing as well. They were always paper thin and brittle, now they are great!

Liz

KoKo Sun, Mar-07-04 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
All of the above may be true, but often one's nails become harder with age. I have no idea how old your wife is.

I keep waiting for that hardness that comes with age - even my toenails are so soft they peel!!!!

Even if it is the diet - as far as I understand it nail tissue is dead once it emerges from the finger nail bed - so it should take a bit more time than 5 or 6 weeks for the effects of diet to show on the nail that is near the tip of the finger (unless her nails grow enviably fast).

Quest Sun, Mar-07-04 08:16

I've been low carbing for ten months, and taking supplements, such as borage oil, that are supposed to be good for the skin, hair, and nails. My skin has become less dry but I still have problems with brittle and flaking nails.

cmcole Sun, Mar-07-04 09:30

Although my nails still break occasionally, they are much healthier than they used to be.

I would attribute it to this WOE (I'd rather not think it was because I was getting older). :rolleyes:

Grimalkin Sun, Mar-07-04 22:11

It is absolutely this WOE for me.

For years I watched my nails (fingers and toes) become weaker, breaking, more ridged and twisted, and generally go to pot. I would cut them short.

Now, over a year of LC, most of them look great! Even the worst ones (like my little toe for some reason) are starting to come around. Yes it seems to take quite some time (for me), not only for the nail to grow out but also for whatever changes are happening at the nail bed I guess.