Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Fat Fast (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176960)

Blondey63 Mon, Apr-05-04 08:04

Fat Fast

Has anyone done the fat fast here? How long did you do it for and what were your results? And how did you feel on it?

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 08:19

I want to know, too! I'm thinking of trying it myself.

jun keater Mon, Apr-05-04 08:51

I did it for 5 days and lost 5 lbs. :yay: I took the weekend off and did Atkins - not induction. I am going to do the fat fast for a day or two, switching back and forth to see what happens. Now that I finally have the scale moving again I'm happy! :yay:

Karin289 Mon, Apr-05-04 08:56

Be very careful with the fat fast! Dr. Atkins warns against using it, unless you are severely insulin resistant. Even then, he doesn't recommend doing it for more than 2-3 days, because the lack of protein causes muscle deterioration, which I'm sure none of us want. Moreover, I suspect that switching between fat fast and regular LC wreaks big time havoc with your metabolism.

If you're looking to jumpstart your weight loss, many on this board have recommended KISS. It's a more restrictive version of Induction based mostly on pure protein and fat sources. Try searching the forum for more information.

LadyBelle Mon, Apr-05-04 09:15

I tried it. I was hungry and sick as a dog. When I went back to regular induciton all the weight came back anyway. The weight then came off after a week of regular induciton.

For the seriously metabolically resistant it can be a good thing. For people who ar ejust in a small lag it's not the healthiest choice.

orchidday Mon, Apr-05-04 09:30

I did the fat fast for three days and thought I was going to die. It was horrible and I had massive headaches all three days (I used the macademia nut/cream cheese fast). I lost six pounds in those three days but it came right back the next week when I went back to regular OWL. I sure wouldn't do it again. I have never tried KISS but that sounds like something that would be much better.

Orchid

strictgirl Mon, Apr-05-04 09:36

I tried it after being on Induction for many months and only loosing a very few pounds. Apparently I have a very resistant metabolism.

I lost about 5 pounds but did gain them back when I went back to induction. While on the fat fast I was never hungry but did miss food since Atkins requires me to spend a great deal of time gathering and preparing fresh foods for all my meals.

triplemom Mon, Apr-05-04 09:42

Wow, it sounds like everybody had the same results! I think I'll just stick with induction! :)

leslew5 Mon, Apr-05-04 09:45

Fat Fast is not for me!!

jun keater Mon, Apr-05-04 09:50

Step One: Eat Mostly Fat
Begin with five 200-calorie feedings per day and follow for four or five days. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:

Step Two: Modify the Fat Fast
If increasing the fat-to-carbohydrate ratio and cutting calories work, any dietary change in that direction might get the job done. Next, you can try four meals a day of roughly 300 calories for a total of 1,200 calories. That should work, too, and what it allows is definitely more appealing to the taste buds

Step Three: Return to Induction
Try the 1,200-calorie regimen for a week, then go back to Induction. Or simply follow the concept of increasing the ratio of fat to protein. No one should have to feel that losing weight is hopeless. Sometimes the key to achieving your goal weight permanently is quite difficult to adhere to, but rarely is it simply impossible.

Karen___L Mon, Apr-05-04 11:57

I just like the part that says, "Sometimes the key to achieving your goal weight permanently is quite difficult to adhere to, but rarely is it simply impossible."

Very inspiring.

sybs Mon, Apr-05-04 13:10

Skip it...not fun at all. I did lose, but I think it all came back. But I had a wacky weekend refeed right after that. In all I'm glad I did it so I'm not curious anymore, but I don't think I'll do it again. Refeed maybe, but not fat fast. I've found I lose more quicker and with less effort if I'm realisitc about what I'm eating and counting ALL carbs, including the ones in sf gum and splenda! Even if it says zero I still check around and add a carb just to make sure!
Also cut out ALL Malitol/SF candies...and I mean ALL. It'll kill your efforts QUICK!
And most importantly...just work out...very easy going for me and I lost about 2 lbs in a week...I excercise at a very moderate level (I can still hold a conversation) 4-5 times a week. And drink lots of water.
All very common sense stuff we all already know!
Good luck

DianaO Mon, Apr-05-04 13:42

I did it for 5 days. Lost about a lb a day. I am working on this up down weight right now... Maybe I need to try it again. Doing it any longer then 5 days is dangerous. Doing it for a few days will not harm you.

teresamay Mon, Apr-05-04 18:14

As was said so well above, the fat fast is very dangerous for those who CAN lose weight. A stall has to be for a longer period, and it is meant for those who can't lose weight at all on induction. Please be very careful.

MikieGirl Mon, Apr-05-04 18:57

Sorry but I would never make it past the second day. It just seems like patience is the key here. Always think healthy. =)