Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Leg Pain? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=371173)

Chefjen Sat, Apr-19-08 15:00

Leg Pain?

Ok.. maybe the two are unrelated.. but since ive been LCing.. ive found myself at bedtime having the WORSE growing pain style feelings in my legs.. to the point where I cant sleep and im starting to gain weight from not sleeping properly and waking up late in the day etcetc

Anyone have this issue.. is it a LC thing?

Chefjen Sat, Apr-19-08 15:35

Seems to be only happening at night just to add...

bike2work Sat, Apr-19-08 15:42

Those night-time leg cramps (if that's what you mean) usually respond well to a daily dose of potassium and magnesium. You're not the first to ask about this. :)

Do you mean the severe calf cramps that last a few seconds to a few minutes? Or do you mean something else? Pin pricks? Tingling? Feels like ants crawling on your legs?

Chefjen Sat, Apr-19-08 15:55

Feels like what i use to get as a kid growing pains my mom called them..

They cramp in the calf i feel better when i stretch them out and massage them but man they are achy! last for a while

bike2work Sat, Apr-19-08 18:38

I'm not sure then. It might be different than what I was thinking of. Magnesium is really good stuff in any case.

cs_carver Tue, Apr-22-08 09:09

Check your minerals

Different people are going to experience leg pain differently. Many people get low on potassium, others on magnesium, and some even on calcium, when they start low carbing. Especially in the warmer weather.

Try liberally using Lite Salt on your food (but check the taste before you use too much).

You can also buy magnesium supplements.

Possible that something like Pedialyte electrolyte replacement may help, but I don't know the sugar content of those fluids.

For me, it's always potassium. More lettuce. No table salt, and cut back on the "salty" snacks like pork rinds.

Good luck.

Chefjen Tue, Apr-22-08 11:27

Just picked up some mag.& calcium tablets (they are mixed)

and some potassium!

Starry123 Wed, Apr-30-08 04:40

Hey Guys...am new to the forum and came across it while searching for possible reasons for this terrible Leg pain that I have been having for the last 2 weeks. I have been on Atkins for less than a month and dint think that there was any connection between the leg pain and the diet, untill I read this thread. I have been taking a Calcium+Magnesium+Zinc supplement for 1 week now, so maybe its the Potassium thats missing. I will start that immediately and increase my water intake. I really hope that helps...cause I feel like I have not slept for a week, as the pain keeps me up almost all night. If you have any other suggestions, pls let me know.
I will keep you all posted on the results of the Potassium supplement intake...Thanks !

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-30-08 08:35

Increasing water is just going to wash away the potassium you're taking. Just drink when you're thirsty and then your body can get the benefit of the minerals.