Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   exercise everyday?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185720)

nka Thu, May-20-04 06:04

exercise everyday??

I have been using the treadmill everyday. I stopped one day last week and felt sluggish because I didn't exercise. I don't go at the same speed or incline everyday but what I want to know is if I do this everyday; is my body just going to adapt to it and even though I am sticking to eating right; I still won't lose anything? I know I need to switch up my exercise routine but I haven't had the chance to get any tapes or other equipment yet.

orchidday Thu, May-20-04 06:57

One of the challenges of exercise is that no matter how many times a week you do it, your body eventually gets used to it. I am facing the same thing. The exercise I have been doing is not challenging enough now so I am having to consider more distance, weights, etc. We have to adjust our exercise fairly regularly while trying to drop more weight. Even Dr. Atkins said to take a day off once a week. I am not sure why :).

Orchid

nka Thu, May-20-04 07:03

Maybe I will take Mondays off since that is the worse day of the week or maybe that means I should exercise that day. Wow, I never had an exercise routine before and I don't know what to do.

legwarmers Thu, May-20-04 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
Maybe I will take Mondays off since that is the worse day of the week or maybe that means I should exercise that day. Wow, I never had an exercise routine before and I don't know what to do.

what is your goal with the exercise? heart health, muscle tone...?

nka Thu, May-20-04 09:22

to burn fat

legwarmers Thu, May-20-04 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
to burn fat

i would highly recommend throwing in some weights and dropping some of the cardio... higher LBM will help you burn fat more easily.

you're doing too much cardio period, imo.

nka Thu, May-20-04 11:17

Shoot, I don't have any weights and know absolutely nothing about them. What kind do I start out with and where do I get them and most importantly, right now, how much do they cost?
Thanks for your help!

legwarmers Thu, May-20-04 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
Shoot, I don't have any weights and know absolutely nothing about them. What kind do I start out with and where do I get them and most importantly, right now, how much do they cost?
Thanks for your help!

do you have access to a gym?

nka Thu, May-20-04 12:25

No. Whatever I do; I will have to do at home.

jemman Thu, May-20-04 12:32

i have the same problem & posted about it recently too i think. i love to exercize- cardio, that is. anerobic exercize seems so boring to me. jagbender has been trying ever so much to kick my butt into gear and get me weight training and i know i should, weight training is so beneficial in toning and building muscle to boost your metabolism to burn fat, etc. but :yawn:

u could get a couple of freeweights- different weights depending on your level- go try em out- see how they feel when u do different exercizes. u should get a book that shows u proper techniques- start slow and light- focus on technique 1st & foremost & go from there. work your major muscle groups 1st. weight training for dummies is a book i read that comes to mind that was pretty good.

geez- i remind myself of a song from alice in wonderland "I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it...." :o :rolleyes: :bash:

legwarmers Thu, May-20-04 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
No. Whatever I do; I will have to do at home.

freeweights for upper body won't run you too much, and it would be easy to suggest some exercises... but for lower body i'm not sure what to suggest... maybe someone else can help you with that. i'd buy a barbell/rack and some plates but i have no clue how much that would cost.

nka Thu, May-20-04 12:45

Thanks. I will see what they have at Walmart:)

jemman Thu, May-20-04 13:00

squats & lunges r good for lower body ;)

NoelAlexan Thu, May-20-04 18:36

goto Dicks sporting goods they got cheap weights there like 30 cents a pound i think. pretty good deal realy

nka Thu, May-20-04 18:51

I have one of those close by. How many weights do I need and how much weight or whatever...I hope someone knows what I am asking, LOL!