Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Carb count in gold rum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=131889)

harleydee Wed, Aug-20-03 15:32

Carb count in gold rum

I am going to a cocktail hour tomorrow with some friends from work. I haven't had alcohol since I started Atkins on 21 July, but have decided to have a drink or two (depending on the carb count!) tomorrow.

I like to drink gold rum with ginger ale. I will carry diet ginger ale with me (as most places only carry diet coke/pepsi).

Does anyone know the carb count for gold rum? It would be most helpful as that will decide how many drinks I'm "allowed" to have.

Thanks everyone!

tholian8 Wed, Aug-20-03 15:41

As far as I know, zero.

Emily

RosaAlta Wed, Aug-20-03 16:04

This confuses me, because isn't rum made from sugar? Shouldn't it have some residual carbs?

tholian8 Wed, Aug-20-03 16:23

Rum is distilled, and AFAIK all distilled liquors have 0 carbs. That doesn't mean they are calorie-free of course. And I have noticed a difference in the way spirits affect me. I find vodka to be the easiest on my body, followed by rum of all kinds. Single malt Scotch is actually fairly easy on me, but Bourbon--even fine Bourbon--often gives me a hella hangover even if I haven't had much.

But the absolute worst is Tequila. I start shaking even before I've finished my first drink. :(

Emily

Arie Wed, Aug-20-03 17:16

One shot (a jigger) of rum or any other distilled alcohol (~80 proof) has 0g of carbs and around 100 calories... Enjoy!

harleydee Wed, Aug-20-03 17:27

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Thank you guys so much for the responses!

I'm so happy that I can have a few drinks! I wonder if they'll say anything when I pull the diet ginger ale out of my handbag.......hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks again - you guys are lifesavers!

siara28 Wed, Aug-20-03 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholian8
Rum is distilled, and AFAIK all distilled liquors have 0 carbs. That doesn't mean they are calorie-free of course. And I have noticed a difference in the way spirits affect me. I find vodka to be the easiest on my body, followed by rum of all kinds. Single malt Scotch is actually fairly easy on me, but Bourbon--even fine Bourbon--often gives me a hella hangover even if I haven't had much.

But the absolute worst is Tequila. I start shaking even before I've finished my first drink. :(

Emily

YES, Tequila (ta-kill-ya) is definitely the worst, but for me Vodka is a close second, so it must be a YMWV type of thing, but I think everyone would agree ta-kill-ya is the worst!! :Puke:

Heidi

LadyBelle Wed, Aug-20-03 22:12

Pure rum has 0 carbs. Be careful though because spiced rums and others by Captain Morgans can have as many as 7g per oz. Someone emailed the company and got a listo f thier products and thier carb counts. You may want to do a search for that htread.

harleydee Thu, Aug-21-03 11:24

Thanks for the heads up LadyBelle! Thankfully (!!) I don't like the spiced rums. However, I will go on their website and see if I can find the carb count for plain gold rum.

Thanks again.