Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Loose skin - will it get any better??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169372)

SiriusT Thu, Feb-26-04 08:48

Loose skin - will it get any better???

Hi, I'm a 49-year-old woman (and holding...) whose lost over 50 pounds. I exercise a lot (weight lifting and running) and feel like I'm in good shape.

BUT... my body is just one giant sag right now. My face has developed wrinkles and my belly and chest just flop. Sounds attractive, huh? :rolleyes:

My question is for others who have lost a lot of weight - will this improve over time? I can't afford surgery but I'm getting desperate!

Thanks!
Amy

Hilary M Thu, Feb-26-04 09:06

I've lost about 50 pounds as well, and am starting to notice the saggage factor you're talking about. The biggest problem is my chest — I like to say that I'm on my way to grandma boobs at the age of 23!

From what I hear, some of the skin will tighten up a little with time, and some of it will not (like the boobs, probably). The best thing you can do for it, aside from expensive surgery, is to keep it moisturized from the inside (drink lots of water) and the outside (use moisturizing lotion regularly), and be patient.

Moonwalker Thu, Feb-26-04 10:31

It won't tighten up much at all, if any. Surgery really isnt that expensive, plus you can finanace it and only pay a small ammount a month. I had a full abdominoplasty/lipo and it was only $5700. The surgery is well worth the cost. But then again, i had lost almost 200 pounds at the time. Your skin probably isnt anywhere near how gross mine was lol. Take care and good luck!

MaryToU Thu, Feb-26-04 10:39

This is why I look better with clothes than without!! Right now I started hitting the gym four days a week for weight training to see if I can tighten thing up. Figure it will take some time.

As for surgery, not really for me. Do I really care if I can be that 40 to 50 year old lady on the beach with the great body? Nah. As long as I am a nice size and healthy, that is what I was aiming for. Only my hubby sees me naked anyway. And I don't hear him complaining all to much.

AzureMoon Thu, Feb-26-04 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusT
Hi, I'm a 49-year-old woman (and holding...) whose lost over 50 pounds...My question is for others who have lost a lot of weight - will this improve over time? I can't afford surgery but I'm getting desperate!

I'm in the Lost-Over-50-And-I'm-Over-40-Club too and have the granny boobs to prove it :lol:. I've been doing dry skin brushing and it seems to have helped keep the sagging to a minimum, though I'm still going to go for the tummy tuck and boob lift when I reach goal. SiriusT, try using the forum search function to look for threads on dry skin brushing, there are several. Even if it doesn't help with the sagging the exfoliation keeps your skin baby soft.

Good luck with the skin.. Your success with the weight loss is an inspiration to us all.

Cheers!

campbanana Thu, Feb-26-04 13:15

Have you tried resistance training? My bowflex literally transformed my entire body. My boobs are the firmest they have been in my entire life! It's the easiest workout I have ever done. I used to be such a weakling and now I am looking buff and feeling strong.

trustycat Thu, Feb-26-04 14:51

campbanana-- what's a bowflex? How often did u work out/what did u do?

Peachagirl Thu, Feb-26-04 15:19

I've got the same problem with my tummy--there really isn't much fat left, just saggy skin. (7 pregnancies may have something to do with it!) I'm going to try Pilates--my neice thinks it will help. At least it may help at least bring the 2 sides of my stomach muscles back together again! (I'm almost there with that--been doing all kinds of situps, and just about another 1/2 inch to go!)
My problem isn't so bad as to require surgery--I'd rather spend the money for my hubby and I to go on a great vacation together--I'll just stick to wearing a one-piece!

Peach

trustycat Thu, Feb-26-04 15:35

hey peach-- how've ya been?...still no journal, huh--lol
the maintenace club's been kinda fading!
anyways, i have the same prob about loose skin on my tummy--i just started pilates too, hope it helps!

campbanana Thu, Feb-26-04 22:45

You can get a free video or dvd at www.bowflex.com.

I work out on the bowflex every other day.