Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   guar gum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=15037)

KetoKaren Sun, Aug-05-01 02:58

guar gum

Guar gum (a natural vegetable gum) is a great addition to homemade protein shakes (gives them that thick, rich quality), and may be very beneficial to one's health.

I use a 1/4 tsp in my shakes (tried a teaspoon once and couldn't pour it out of the glass very easily).

Although it has some carbs, they are all made up of insoluble fibre.

Below is a link to a study that shows guar gum may have a beneficial effect on blood sugar levels.

guar gum study

Bonnie Sun, Aug-05-01 06:13

Guar Gum

Thanks for this info and link KetoKaren ;)

Bonnie

IslandGirl Thu, Aug-09-01 13:00

clarification

Soluble and fermentable fibre actually, like all vegetable gums (Guar, Acacia, Xanthan, Carob...) ... the best kind for soothing the intestines, acting as probiotics/prebiotics and, apparently, moderating blood sugars

KetoKaren Thu, Aug-09-01 17:23

Cool--thanks IslandGirl!

Karen Thu, Aug-09-01 19:04

So then guar gum would make a good laxative?

Guar gum and psyllium shake? Nummy! ;)

Karen

Kay Thu, Aug-09-01 20:56

Recipe???
:D

Karen Thu, Aug-09-01 21:02

Well, I would take 1 Tbsp. of psyllium husk and 1 tsp. guar gum and mix it with 1 1/2 cups water using a hand blender. There are probably better recipes though. I'll give it some thought ;)

Karen

IslandGirl Thu, Aug-09-01 21:28

Yo, VERY funny, Goyls!

[ snicker snicker ] !

I'll have that shake with a pinch of seasalt and a dash of clam juice, please... :p

Kay Thu, Aug-09-01 21:32

Karen, I knew you could make a recipe for anything!

Seriously, though, folks, would guar gum be of any use in those recipes that we used to thicken with corn starch or flour? I am thinking in particular of stir fry.

IslandGirl Thu, Aug-09-01 21:39

Yes.

I've got a selection of the gums in my cupboard, including the custom blend from Expert Foods Inc., called notStarch.

I use 'em for thickening sauces, occasional soups, shakes, gravies and (ta da!) a little in stirfry when needed.

Kay Thu, Aug-09-01 21:53

So, Judi, I am guessing from what you said that it doesn't make any difference if you heat the guar gum. Do you add it before or after you heat the rest of the liquid? Does it thicken instantaneously? Stay thick when hot?

I am thinking of how gelatin, and conversely, flax meal react with hot water.

I have used agar powder, sometimes with success and sometimes with no thickening happening whatsoever. I have used it to made a very nice maple-syrupish concoction, thick at room temperature. I wonder if guar gum would work in this recipe instead?

Hmmm . . .

Kay Thu, Aug-09-01 21:55

By the way, Judi, what was that you said about carob?
The carob I've known and loved is a powder (flour) that I used to substitute for cocoa. Any relation?

doreen T Thu, Aug-09-01 22:01

flax meal as thickener

I posted a recipe a while back, from the Canadian Flax Council, for a stir-fry sauce using ground flax meal as the thickener. It worked well, and that's what I generally use now. Make sure to grind the meal as finely as possible, or you will have "gritty" sauce.

here's the link - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&threadid=3664

Doreen

Karen Fri, Aug-10-01 00:19

I used to make hot chocolate with water, cocoa, whipping cream, AS and guar gum. I think I used less than 1/4 tsp. to 12 oz. of liquid. I would blend everything while cold with the hand blender and microwave it. It was like a loose pudding in texture.

Then, of course, I would put gobs of whipping cream on top. Then of course, I stopped making it after it became a nightly winter habit because I was enjoying it too much.:rolleyes:

I was serious about is as a laxative. It might be easier for some people to take than psyllium. Does anybody know?

I suppose I could experiment on myself...:eek:

Karen

doreen T Fri, Aug-10-01 00:36

I might try it. I'm allergic to psyllium, and dont' always want to have flax meal every day. I do take the oil every day though.

Guar gum is cheaper than xanthan gum, that's for sure.

Maltitol is a great laxative :eek:

Doreen